PreM for Fall Weeds

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

PreM for Fall Weeds

Post by PSU4ME » August 5th, 2019, 2:30 pm

So in April I put down "about" 4-5 months worth of coverage using prodiamine.......thinking it would get me to September where i could evaluate and reseeding and if not, put the second dose down.

Reading some of Andy's notes, fall weeds are likely to start germinating soon. With my initial application possibly starting to run out, is there any risk, or is it good practice, to put my second dose down now, and potentially have some overlap?

Another 5 month dose would run me through December.

What do you guys think?

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: PreM for Fall Weeds

Post by ken-n-nancy » August 5th, 2019, 4:32 pm

Personally, I view Poa annua as a threat in our lawn -- I have issues with seeds blowing in from neighbor's lawns and have a fair bit of my own to have to deal with from time to time, too. I don't always recognize it and pull it before it has a chance to go to seed.

Accordingly, I like to keep some overlap between spring and fall pre-emergent coverage. I make 3 applications of 0.5Tbsp/1000sqft of Quali-Pro Prodiamine 65 WDG which totals to 1.5Tbsp/1,000sqft = 0.55oz/1,000sqft of product applied in a year, which is exactly the annual maximum listed on the label for Kentucky Bluegrass (no more, no less).

I make my three applications at (1) forsythia bloom which is around 25 April for me, (2) end of July, and (3) mid-September. This gives me pre-emergent coverage for just about the entire growing season in New Hampshire, with a weak spot in mid-July, and a bit extra coverage in mid-September. However, this approach provides the extra protection when I think I need it most -- in the peak of Poa annua germination.

Given that you've already applied a 5-month dose, it seems to me that another dose of whatever takes you up to the annual maximum should get you pretty much full coverage through the growing season. As to whether you'd rather have less coverage now or in December is up to you. Personally, I think germination in a cool week now is more of a risk than germination in a very warm week in December.

Of course, applying pre-emergent now rules out additional seeding this fall, at least in the areas where you apply the pre-emergent.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » August 5th, 2019, 4:41 pm

Put it out.

PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by PSU4ME » August 5th, 2019, 4:52 pm

Thanks guys.....I agree with you. Reading Andy's not hit me square in the face last week when I saw him say they were germinating now.......no wonder why the Annua came back.

I'll get on it

@KNN - going to check my notes and see how much more i can add to hit the annual max.

Thanks!