Timing for Transplanting Plugs

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
JHazzardB
Grass Type: Front Yard: KBG blend. Back Bewitched/Nuglade
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Timing for Transplanting Plugs

Post by JHazzardB » August 9th, 2019, 10:42 am

When is the best time to transplant plugs?

I have an area, give or take about 6' around that got wiped early on due to fungus. I might have some recovery this fall but not that much. I have my seed to go down when things start cooling (whenever that'll be). I was hoping to pull some plugs from the rest of the yard and transplant them for a little bit of a head start. I was thinking to start the transplanting at first signs of cooling down or when the dormant grass areas start to show a sign of life. I feel like that would be best for the roots.

Any experience or thoughts is most appreciated!

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Timing for Transplanting Plugs

Post by ken-n-nancy » August 9th, 2019, 11:08 am

I think you've "hit the nail on the head" for the best times for transplanting plugs -- just at the start of the seasons of best growth -- just as fall temperatures are arriving, or in early spring. That said, I think any time in fall works out fine -- even if one misses the "best window" of early September (or late August if far enough north), transplanting later in fall will still provide a head start over waiting until the following spring.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Timing for Transplanting Plugs

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » August 10th, 2019, 6:42 am

Yeah, I moved some late spring and it was more difficult to keep them alive. I lost 10 percent. But that's when I had time to do it.