Ahhh!! Here We Go With The Temperatures

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Ahhh!! Here We Go With The Temperatures

Post by andy10917 » August 10th, 2019, 9:33 am

Ahhh!! Sitting out on the porch this morning with a cup of coffee, and the first morning with a distinct chill in the air has arrived. Checking the 10-day forecast shows that the evening temperatures are forecasted to be in the upper 50's and low sixties for the next 10 days. The "tired leaves" are falling, and other signs are lining up...

So, where I live (45 miles north of NYC up the Hudson) the bells are ringing -- it's time to start waking the lawn for the Fall (not that it ever went to sleep, but growth has been slower).

The lawn made it through another Summer without issues!

It may not be doing this yet in your neck of the woods, but it's time to start watching for your opportunity to re-engage, pick your plan for the Fall, and start executing soon.

Fall Nitrogen Regimens

PW405
Grass Type: Primary: TTTF (blend), KBG. Bermuda (hellstrip)
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Re: Ahhh!! Here We Go With The Temperatures

Post by PW405 » August 10th, 2019, 10:53 am

Looking good! Thanks for reminder.. I'm behind my fall plans, been fighting drought and keeping off my own lawn for past few weeks. Busy (favorite) season of the year is among us!!

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by Green » August 10th, 2019, 12:33 pm

I don't like this...I want more Summer!

You know what's really surprising? On a shady street today with overhanging trees, I saw some brown and red leaves on trees. And it had been around 90 degrees for 6 weeks until a week ago. What the ? You'd think color change would be delayed due to the heat we had. But no, it's extra early this year on some trees, apparently.

PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by PSU4ME » August 10th, 2019, 3:51 pm

Yeah you can feel a distinct change in the weather. I lowered my HOC to 3.5” yesterday and got down my last dose of baystate. I’ll start weekly urea apps Labor Day weekend and run that for about 6 weeks.

Cheers to fall weather!!

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG

Post by northeastlawn » August 10th, 2019, 6:13 pm

I hate the end of summer; but love getting through mid August, even with everything looking OK I have some very bad sections. Thankfully I think the KBG will do its job and fill in the gaps like it did in the spring, I have some POA Annual seed heads still around, so some POA Annua survived, but this fall I'm going to hold off the Tenacity and encourage spreading to what I have with the weekly spoon feeding.

I got my pre-m down, so its BSF this week, and lowering the cut from 3 1/2" about an 1" over the next three weeks.

fun4me2
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by fun4me2 » August 11th, 2019, 6:04 am

Those early signs that you speak of were starting here this past week.
I actually put my "wake up" dose of milo on Thursday.
We were expecting rain, and I could see that temps were dropping in the evening.
Of course the rain went all around me. :banghead:
and it hasn't rained since.
My neighbor said, "you put that stuff down again didn't you"? Guilty!
We both had yard sales yesterday. Eau de milo was in full force on the windy day! :rotfl:
I will be putting down SOP, and another round of milo/boron this week if we get rain as predicted. :roll:

JHazzardB
Grass Type: Front Yard: KBG blend. Back Bewitched/Nuglade
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by JHazzardB » August 11th, 2019, 1:04 pm

*sigh* Your high temps are 10 degrees below my low temps apparently. Don't think ill get a respite until September. But I'm getting my fall plan going!

Smolenski7
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by Smolenski7 » August 11th, 2019, 7:10 pm

Yep, I noticed about 10 days ago that some "tired" leaves from my Red Maples were making there way into my pool. And, yes, just yesterday morning the air had a bit of a nip to it, even this morning was pretty nice to eat my bagel on the back deck and chat about the day with my wife.

This week I will make a trip up to Quincy with my trailer in tow to pick up a pallet. That will go down before the weekend, followed by an application of Dimension 0-0-7 to help the spread of my Poa. I'll then break the Dimension in a few small spots around the yard to plant a little seed, but not too much.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » August 14th, 2019, 8:10 pm

Well, would you look at that! The last "natural sign" that the switch to "Fall Mode" is arriving finally weighed in -- on August 14th. The evening chorus/cacophony of crickets/katydids/frogs at the creek across the street has risen to a dull roar. August 15th is -- oh wait -- tomorrow.

Right on time.

Green

Post by Green » August 14th, 2019, 10:07 pm

It hit 59 here one or two nights last week. Grass is starting to recover from heat stress and needs to be mowed more often than it did a few weeks ago.

PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by PSU4ME » August 15th, 2019, 8:47 am

I'm noticing the same, little more life to it and the dormant areas on the upper part of the property (non irrigated) are starting to get some new green growth showing through so the change to fall is underway.

Just have this next week to two weeks that i'm going to power through with water.....been a little dry lately and the forecast isn't helping much but night time temps are.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » August 15th, 2019, 9:07 am

Yup - I'm even seeing recovery from dormancy in the too-short lawns in my area. It's definitely happening...

dan10
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by dan10 » August 15th, 2019, 10:01 am

andy10917 wrote:
August 15th, 2019, 9:07 am
Yup - I'm even seeing recovery from dormancy in the too-short lawns in my area. It's definitely happening...
Last weekend was nice....but mother nature is planning to throw a curve early next week in my area of NJ. Low 90's daytime and 72-75 at night.

Disease pressure is coming again.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » August 15th, 2019, 10:11 am

Follow the trend and not the exceptions - sure, late August can have bursts of heat, but diseases of slow-growth become more common (Rust, etc). "Gentle" encouragement is the word I can't say enough. And when seeding is involved, seed doesn't care much about temperatures until it germinates - as long as you keep it moist. Giving up two weeks of time to grow for a few hot days is not a great trade-off in my book.

Maizan24
Grass Type: Northern mix
Level: Novice

Post by Maizan24 » August 15th, 2019, 3:40 pm

Noticed within the past few days the fine fescue which usually flops over and goes to sleep is looking a bit more lively. Will probably be hitting it with milo this weekend in preparation for fall nitrogen.

Green

Post by Green » August 15th, 2019, 10:14 pm

Green wrote:
August 10th, 2019, 12:33 pm
You know what's really surprising? On a shady street today with overhanging trees, I saw some brown and red leaves on trees. And it had been around 90 degrees for 6 weeks until a week ago. What the ? You'd think color change would be delayed due to the heat we had. But no, it's extra early this year on some trees, apparently.
Today, lawns on that street were covered in leaves, like you see in Fall. This is not normal. A family member pointed out that when the repaving was done, there was a steam cloud. It all makes sense now...some of those leaves got scorched by the heat and then turned brown and started dropping early.

That said, I am noticing the leaves in my yard are not as deep green in color as they were a month ago.

PW405
Grass Type: Primary: TTTF (blend), KBG. Bermuda (hellstrip)

Post by PW405 » August 15th, 2019, 10:20 pm

A question, if I may. Planning an overseed with a bit of fescue this year, nothing major to repair, just want to gain some thickness. I planted KBG at overseed rate into established fescue last fall, so based on Philes Regimen advice, this is the fall to really keep up with multiple spoonfeedings of N. However, how would one balance the need for N applications with the timings of an overseed?

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » August 15th, 2019, 10:26 pm

I would take it easy on Nitrogen from seed-down until the seed is a couple of weeks germinated - not just to avoid stressing the seedlings, but to avoid accelerated growth of the existing grass, which might shade-out the seedlings.