Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Certainty - "Dead" Spot Options

Post by PSU4ME » August 14th, 2019, 3:22 pm

Hi folks,
I tried Certainty this summer and i'm done with my 3 treatments. Some areas I see that it really killed the triv and other areas I can see that it will likely come back. I also know that my KBG will recover from it's stunted current state.

In some of the larger areas that was mostly triv, there isn't much KBG there. Investigating a few of those spots, I was able to grab and pull out large portions of the triv as it just peeled right away.......this to me seems like a best practice as I feel i'm removing 95% of the plant.

So:
Have others realized this and pulled out the triv? Is it a good idea to do this, possibly rake out all areas and take away as much material as possible?

I'll look to back fill the bare spot with KBG plugs from the lawn around Labor Day.

Thanks for your thoughts!

PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: Certainty - "Dead" Spot Options

Post by PSU4ME » August 15th, 2019, 9:22 am

No love eh? I get that most folks are not using certainty so I’ll post my stuff here in case others are thinking of trying.

I raked out the spots last night and the triv really does pull out very easy. I’m sure I’m not getting all of it but by not pulling out what I can, I feel it would definitely come back.

I’m not going to apply anymore treatments this year and will wait to do another round next year along with pulling it out when I can. I’ll put some pics up tonight/tmw

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » August 15th, 2019, 9:30 am

That's the way to do it - steady pressure to limit it with Certainty, and mop-up manual removal. Flat-out, it works.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » August 15th, 2019, 10:29 pm

PSU4ME wrote:
August 15th, 2019, 9:22 am
No love eh? I get that most folks are not using certainty...
I used it for the first time ever this year. I used the lower rates because I read about some people who killed their lawns. I'm done with the three apps that were directed at those rates now (instead of two at the higher rate), and there is still Triv that is alive over a week after the final app. Not sure if that's due to the strain of Triv in that area, or if it will still decline more. I wish I could rip mine out, but while it's shriveled, it still has green and the roots are still intact.