Weed ID help: Are both of these Spurge?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Weed ID help: Are both of these Spurge?

Post by Green » August 21st, 2019, 11:16 pm

Here are two broadleaf weeds that look similar but also have some differences. Are both of them different types of Spurge? They were growing together alongside each other in a family member's lawn at the edge of a driveway. Photo:

The lower one with the red stems looks a lot like the Spurge I get in my yard, and pulls up easily and cleanly. Detail of it:

But the upper one has green stems and is extremely tenacious, strong, and hard to pull out. It also pulls a bunch of soil out with it if you manage to pull it out without it snapping off. Detail:

What is this one? Thanks.

prog_dave
Grass Type: Northern Mix with multiple Crest/Baron/Blue Angel KBG Overseeds
Level: Some Experience

Re: Weed ID help: Are both of these Spurge?

Post by prog_dave » August 24th, 2019, 11:45 am

Not surprisingly given our relative locations, I also get both of those in my yard during the summer, despite my heavy year-round applications of Dimension. I call both of them spurge, but honestly I've always wondered whether that's right. I'm interested to see if anyone knows for sure.

The other "fun" thing about the tenacious one is it leaves my hands all sticky when I'm pulling it.

Green

Post by Green » August 24th, 2019, 9:51 pm

prog_dave wrote:
August 24th, 2019, 11:45 am
Not surprisingly given our relative locations, I also get both of those in my yard during the summer, despite my heavy year-round applications of Dimension. I call both of them spurge, but honestly I've always wondered whether that's right. I'm interested to see if anyone knows for sure.

The other "fun" thing about the tenacious one is it leaves my hands all sticky when I'm pulling it.
Dave,

Thanks! And very interesting. I appreciate the feedback.

Not sure if you already know, but "sticky" is classic spurge...they say the sap is an irritant, but I've never experienced issues touching it (the red stem type...Spotted Spurge??)

Hopefully someone here knows what the proper names of both of these are. I'm willing to bet that even if both aren't Spurge, they're probably both in Spurge family.

On another topic, I noticed you list Baron KBG in your grass type. I started messing with that cultivar last year. Somewhere, I have a thread on it from last year.

Green

Post by Green » August 25th, 2019, 1:05 am

Figured it out finally.

The second one is "Prostrate Knotweed", I believe:

https://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postde ... tnum=28748

prog_dave
Grass Type: Northern Mix with multiple Crest/Baron/Blue Angel KBG Overseeds
Level: Some Experience

Post by prog_dave » August 25th, 2019, 8:42 am

That's it! I've had a real difficult time identifying plants based on only a picture. I'm very impressed you were able to find it.

Crest / Baron / Blue Angel were the three KBG varieties in the Chas. Hart "Sports Complex All-Blue Blend" but I see they've replaced them all. I haven't put down any seed since I started the all-year Dimension applications to try to control the poa annua (about three years ago). Where the blend "took," I've got no complaints but it wasn't effective everywhere.