Seeking opinions on mixing TTTF and PR into KBG and Fine Fescue Lawn

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
schreibdave
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Seeking opinions on mixing TTTF and PR into KBG and Fine Fescue Lawn

Post by schreibdave » September 5th, 2019, 6:23 am

Around here (Syracuse NY) the window for getting seed established is quickly closing. Boston area is probably a few weeks behind us but I think you need to make a decision and set some seed down. If not, you will still have dead lawn going in to spring.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » September 5th, 2019, 8:12 pm

schreibdave wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 6:23 am
Around here (Syracuse NY) the window for getting seed established is quickly closing. Boston area is probably a few weeks behind us but I think you need to make a decision and set some seed down. If not, you will still have dead lawn going in to spring.
Yeah, Boston is a bit warmer due to the water. It's even warmer than Southern CT sometimes at night. There was actually a night this year when the low in Boston did not go below the low 80s. But still, I wouldn't wait...I'm seeding this weekend myself here in CT. After early September, things can get dicey.

akrug3
Grass Type: KBG, some fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by akrug3 » September 11th, 2019, 8:55 pm

Following up on this post... I couldn't convince myself that mixing the "Pro Athletic Mixture" with TTTF and PR into the lawn was the right thing to do. So last Friday, 9/6, I decided to get 30lbs of Bewitched KBG and mix in what I had left over from earlier KBG blends and use that at 3lbs/1000 sq ft on the newly rototilled areas where I had ripped out a tree stump. I then reduced the amount to 2lbs/1000 sq ft on the remaining sunny areas as an overseed of the existing KBG.

On the couple of areas that are deep shade I put down the left over Seed Super Store Shade Mix at 4lbs/1000. This mix is mostly fine fescues combined with bewitched KBG.

The morning of seeding, I ran around the sunnier areas of the yard with Roundup and zapped all of the clumpier dark spots that I believed were mowed down crowns of fine fescue left over from years ago and were still mixed in with the KBG. Later in the day I overseeded all these areas with the KBG. I know I probably should have used the roundup several days before but I decided to take a chance and see what happens. I also used starter fertilizer with .08% Mesotrione (Tenacity) to try and keep the weeds and poa at bay while the KBG germinates

I used some Curlex erosion blankets on some sloped areas. I've been down the rain washout path before and it is not fun. I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post.

My goal is to have a predominately KBG lawn in the sunny areas where it will grow and fine fescue in a few small areas that are too shady for KBG.

My neighbors all think I'm nuts! :tease:

akrug3
Grass Type: KBG, some fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by akrug3 » September 13th, 2019, 7:52 pm

Here are some pictures of what is going on. There are a few sprouts starting to come up. It's been 7 to 8 days since the seed went down depending on the location.

I spotted a few more areas of fine fescue mixed in with the KBG that I missed with roundup a week ago so I hit those yesterday and sprinkled some new KBG seed on these areas today. Mostly just an attempt to reduce or eliminate as much fescue in sunny areas as possible. I know the window for putting KBG seed down is just about closed but this was on top of the overseed last week. I figured if I sprayed the overseed with roundup yesterday some of the seed is probably cooked and any new seed that I put down that takes will be helpful. At any rate, I'm hoping to thin out the fescue and if I have a problem area left over, I can hit it again in the spring.