Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
thalaivar
Grass Type: CRF, PR, KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Novice

Re: Restarting From Scratch

Post by thalaivar » March 19th, 2020, 6:03 pm

Folks,

After the winter hiatus, I am looking to restart the process of maintaining the lawn. As part of the suggestions given above, I did put down the 9lb/k of the SoluCal. Based on the size of the lot, it was slightly more than 11lbs of SoluCal.

I have tried to search for Sulfate of Potash and found a SiteOne close to where I live, they do have it listed on their website, but have to call them to find out if they actually carry it or not as it does not show to be in stock.

I believe, I have to get the one in which the Potassium is derived more from the sulfate rather than the muriate or nitrate as they have a higher salt content.

@Andy, can you please confirm this is the one I need to look for, https://www.siteone.com/en/p/4675

Also, is adding compost going to help with the organic matter or do I need to get something different in order to add organic matter?

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » March 19th, 2020, 8:53 pm

@Andy, can you please confirm this is the one I need to look for,
Ummm, that's SOP, but the "sprayable" means it's probably dust-like or powdery. Not good - a real problem applying. You want a granular product.

Also, is adding compost going to help with the organic matter or do I need to get something different in order to add organic matter?
Compost is good, and so are mulcked Fall leaves -- in massive quantity.

starpartyguy
Grass Type: tall fescue
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Post by starpartyguy » March 19th, 2020, 9:39 pm

I had grubs that took out half my lawn similar to what your pictures show. I dug some test holes around the border of the good grass and the dead grass. Found them nice and fat. I would recommend you dig a few test holes along the border of the good and bad grass and see if you find any little buggers. Also if you find 1 inch holes dug in the spring, birds are probably digging for them. Sure sign you'll need something to kill them.