Mowing Choice For Seedlings

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Bales9er
Grass Type: Lesco Double Eagle PR
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Mowing Choice For Seedlings

Post by Bales9er » September 5th, 2019, 6:44 am

I've seen a lot of thoughts on this here on the website about not using a riding mower and being very delicate on new seedlings when mowing. I think at this point it's more personal opinion than a hard fast rule and I'm wondering if some of us make too much about it. I doubt that all of the professional golf courses who constantly overseed end up doing their first few mowings by hand instead of using they're normal equipment so my question is is it really that big of a deal to use a riding mower as opposed to a push mower when mowing an overseed or even a new renovation? Is there actually a real risk of killing the new seedlings or is it just people are afraid to hurt their "babies"?

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Mowing Choice For Seedlings

Post by andy10917 » September 5th, 2019, 8:54 am

I think it comes down to the situation and the trade-offs you're willing to make...

When overseeding, you need to consider the existing grass height and how that will affect the ungerminated and newly-germinating seeds. If you've got a large area to mow (half an acre or more), it's not practical to use a push/reel mower to cut it. Like your golf course example, you have to take the losses that come from sucking up and destroying ungerminated seed, peat moss, etc. Is using a reel mower better? Probably.

In a renovation, there are also considerations that grasses like PR will also germinate far sooner than KBG, and you could suck up ungerminated KBG seed. Is that acceptable to you and practical? Maybe.

There are very few "hard and fast" rules in any form of gardening - you consider the variables/options and make your own call...

Paul
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG Monostand
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by Paul » September 5th, 2019, 10:17 am

At the very least, I would use a hand push mower and not a riding mower. I have done several renovations and have always used my Honda push mower without any issues at all, just be careful turning. I think a rider would be too heavy for the first month of mowing but I have never tried it. I think the most important thing when mowing new grass is the get the blade nice and sharp. Sharpen the blade to where it can slice through paper easily. This will put less stress on the new grass. I would also change mower patterns overtime you mow.

Bales9er
Grass Type: Lesco Double Eagle PR
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Bales9er » September 5th, 2019, 11:31 am

All valid points, but I guess my biggest question was really just how the additional weight of a riding mower vs a push/reel mower affects the seedlings, if at all (ie: matting them down, permanent losses, etc). Easiest way I can re-word my thought/question is to present a scenario:

Two wide open, flat, perfect seeded areas that have grown equally in height are now ready to be cut for the first time. One side is cut using a riding mower, the other with a push mower (equally sharp blades are used for all you technicality folks). Should you expect damage, losses, set backs in growth or establishment on the riding mower side due to the extra weight and larger tires or does it REALLY not make that much of a difference? Im curious if people have specific experience with one vs the other because the recommendations on here are almost always to use a push mower or reel mower for the first few mows. Orrrrrr, is it just as simple as everyone prefers to baby the new grass as much as possible and not take a chance. Im fine with that but I'd like to know if there's any real data to back up the concerns about using anything other than a push mower on new seedlings.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » September 5th, 2019, 12:12 pm

Green babies will survive pressure well, they dont do so well with LOTS of pressure or twisting though. If you have a rider with wide tires the pressure is less, but avoid turning and anything else that would cause sliding or tire spinning as it will uproot them.

I.e. y turn in adjacent space, no quick acceleration, dont turn, dont stop and start on seedlings etc

mobiledynamics
Grass Type: KBG / going to try TTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by mobiledynamics » September 5th, 2019, 6:10 pm

Interesting read on `green babies'. Overseed aside, where one does not have certain control....on mow timelines due to existing grass, I've always erred on side of caution and trying to let them grow a bit before cutting. On the cautious side that one the young blades ~tear- off a bit easily since they are not hardened off yet.