So I got a visit from Tru-Green today!!!!!!

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Smolenski7
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

So I got a visit from Tru-Green today!!!!!!

Post by Smolenski7 » September 11th, 2019, 9:55 pm

The problem is that the guy was suppose to go to my neighbor's across the street!!!

Just yesterday I was commenting that my lawn looked really good. I mean, for what it is, a northern mix of really crappy cultivars, it has been mistaken for an "elite" lawn. I get the most out of what I have. So, as I was driving down the street today, headed toward my house, I noticed that the lawn looked a little funny. Some plugs had been torn out, it was laying down flat, and even the color was off??? Then, as I got closer, I saw it. A Tru-Green sign!!! :o :o

I immediately got out of the car. I was so upset I actually pulled into the wrong spot and didn't even enter the garage.....where I've parked my car for 14 years. I picked up the sign and started to read it. At first I thought they put down an application of some kind of fertilizer. My first thought was, "Well, ok. It could be worse. I was about to put down an app. of Urea, but if whatever they put down had about a pound of N./k.......they saved me the time." Upon closer inspection though, I noticed plugs laying on the lawn. Thousands of them. Every where. Then I found another piece of paper that said they had spread "high quality" seed.

"High Quality?" Yeah....right! Again, I'm not saying that my lawn is up to the level of some of the guys around this forum, it's not. But it didn't need to be torn up like it is and the seed that was put down is just not needed. I called Tru-Green, got an operator located about 1,500 miles away in MN, and complained. :duel: She apologized and said a manager will be in contact with me.

My questions to the forum are these. What should I do with what was done? Just ignore it. Water the seed and see what happens. Put down a bag of Dimension (it's readily available) to prevent any weeds that my come up because the soil was disturbed?

In addition, what should I expect from Tru-Green? I have a nice lawn that was disturbed pretty dramatically, at least in the short term. I certainly don't want their service. Should I just be a nice guy and let it go? Or, should I ask for the sun?

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: So I got a visit from Tru-Green today!!!!!!

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » September 11th, 2019, 10:06 pm

Man i dont know. On my lawn i would expect a full renovation to kill off whatever they threw out there and return it to a monoculture of mature turf. Or sod of my cultivar.l immediately. I bet itd cost then 10 to 20 grand to do it right.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » September 11th, 2019, 10:12 pm

I doubt you'll get anything without a lawyer, and I think that 10,000 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean is a great start.

It's a good time to get down a Pre-M, and a better time to get a Pre-M down on f'ed-up soil. They'll tell you they did you a favor - tell them to rot in Hell.

Jackpine
Grass Type: N.W. Mi. KBG blend
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by Jackpine » September 14th, 2019, 5:29 am

I'd demand to see the label off the bag of seed. Might or might not be to your benefit. Even if it's good stuff don't tell em, otherwise Pre-M!

Smolenski7

Post by Smolenski7 » September 14th, 2019, 9:20 am

The local manager gave me a call yesterday, he seemed like a nice enough guy. He immediately apologized for the mistake and during our conversation readily admitted that since my lawn is so thick that the vast majority of the seed will not germinate anyway; all he did is throw it down on top of the lawn. Sure a few seeds might have made there way to soil because of the aeration, but not enough to make any noticable impact.

The aerator did damage one of my in ground sprinklers; it's a part of my "Poor Man's" sprinkler system. He's going to replace that and throw in 2 others as well. I'm happy with that, I really didn't feel like fighting and possibly getting the guy who made the mistake in more trouble than he might already be in. Everyone makes mistakes.

likeasponge
Grass Type: Bewitched/prosperity
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Post by likeasponge » September 16th, 2019, 9:59 am

It's been a few days, Have you decided on what you are going to do?
Is it time to make lemonade with those lemons. Some thoughts....move a sprinkler or two that you didn't like the coverage? Add some compost?

Irisbergamot
Grass Type: KBG, TTF
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by Irisbergamot » September 16th, 2019, 11:27 am

It's amazing how vexed we get when something bad happens to our turf. I don't know if you have a family but for me it's almost on par with the protection mode I go into with mine. That probably sounds crazy. Actually it does sound crazy.
Anyways... I second the pre-m wisdom and seriously man, well done on keeping it together through it all.

Smolenski7

Post by Smolenski7 » September 16th, 2019, 10:16 pm

likeasponge wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 9:59 am
It's been a few days, Have you decided on what you are going to do?
Is it time to make lemonade with those lemons. Some thoughts....move a sprinkler or two that you didn't like the coverage? Add some compost?
There's really not much I can do. I can certainly put down an app of a pre-m, which is probably the most aggressive approach if I want to avoid any weeds. However, living in CT at this time of year, with temps going down into the 40's all week and possibly below that on Thursday night, weeds aren't really a main concern for too much longer. I think I'll spot treat if I have too and save the money. And, like I mentioned in a previous post, I'm not worried at all about any of the seed he put down germinating. I'll be shocked if anything germinates.

I found a few other sprinklers damaged this weekend, that brings the total to four. He's going to replace all of them and throw in a fifth. The grand total for all five is just over $210. I also noticed some black scuff marks all over my vinyl fence, it was pretty bad actually. It's like the guy who operated the aerator was using it for the first time. I was a bit concerned by that at first, but a quick Google search found that mineral spirits and a piece of steal wool will make quick work of scuff marks.......and it did. No harm, no foul. He was going to come out to fix it, but I would just rather do it myself.

I did put down an app. of Urea, 1lb/k, over the weekend. I'm trying to be aggressive with the N. this fall and try to note if it makes a worthwhile difference. I've done similar things in the past, but never straight urea in September, that's usually a November thing for me. That was my original plan and I'm going to stick with it. I also dug up a few Triv spots around my yard and reseeded those, again this was part of my original plan that I'm sticking to as if this never happened.