Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
MAlawn11
Grass Type: Northern Mix/KBG/TTTF
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Novice

Sourcing Sulfate of Potash and Urea in Massachusetts

Post by MAlawn11 » September 13th, 2019, 10:48 am

Hi all,
I just bought my house in November of 2018 and conducted my first soil test this past month. Per Andy's recommendations, I need to source some granular Sulfate of Potash (SOP) for my soil ammendments. I am also looking for non-coated Urea for this fall. I am located in North Attleboro, MA. I've found both online, but am trying to avoid paying the shipping fees if possible!

I have contacted Franklin Agway and Attleboro Farms, but neither have 50 lb. bags of either and cannot order it. I contacted SiteOne in Foxboro, MA and they quoted me $77.40 a bag (seems pretty high) for SOP and $46.47 a bag for non-coated Urea (assuming it is coated at this price...)! Valley Green in Smithfield, RI will not give pricing over the phone, but told me they have both in stock so I am planning on stopping by today. I will update with Valley Green's pricing assuming they actually have the correct items.

If anyone has a good source for these items please let me know as I am quickly running out of local options. Any help would be highly appreciated!

agn015
Grass Type: Hogan Blend - GTO/Hemi/Hot Rod TTTF Everest/Award/Everglade/Midnight KBG
Level: Experienced

Re: Sourcing Sulfate of Potash and Urea in Massachusetts

Post by agn015 » September 13th, 2019, 3:32 pm

That’s funny that Franklin Agway doesn’t have urea anymore. Back when I first started my lawn care journey about 3 years ago, that was the first place I bought urea.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by TimmyG » September 13th, 2019, 4:37 pm

PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by PSU4ME » September 13th, 2019, 7:11 pm

I just bought 6 bags from the franklin agway for like $25 a bag. Called ahead do they had enough. $25 a bag is on the high end but convenience is key for me. SOP I’d from kelp 4 less.

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by northeastlawn » September 13th, 2019, 7:43 pm

Anyone in S.E.Mass needs Urea, you can get it at Marvin Grain in South Dartmouth. They also usually have the hard to find XL 5.5cf bags of peat moss for those Reno’s. Not sure about SOP though.

KBGkicksazz
Grass Type: KBG

Post by KBGkicksazz » September 15th, 2019, 5:29 am

As a back up if you can’t find bags of urea, Miracle grow lawn food is around 92 percent urea. You even apply it as a liquid.

Not the most economical but it is an effective product.

Bales9er
Grass Type: Lesco Double Eagle PR
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by Bales9er » September 15th, 2019, 6:43 pm

Atlantic golf & turf in Turners Falls, MA has a fairway grade SOP which is great, similar prill size to milorganite/baystate. That's where I get mine, although its a bit of a hike from North Attleboro.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Post by ken-n-nancy » April 3rd, 2020, 11:17 am

As a tip for any northern Massachusetts or southern New Hampshire folks looking for Sulfate of Potash, I just picked up my annual supply of 3 bags, 50 pounds each, at Achille Agway in Milford, NH. They had 19 bags in stock (of which I purchased 3 bags) at the price of $35.99 each. (By the way, no connection with the store at all, other than as a satisfied customer.)