Certainty second application

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
jgreve
Grass Type: Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Novice

Certainty second application

Post by jgreve » September 17th, 2019, 9:07 pm

Looking for some help on my second application for certainty. First application was done at .5 oz an acre 20 days ago on kbg. Bluegrass is still stunted as is the tall fescue. Tall fescue does not seem to be rotting at the roots and is still difficult to rake out. Posting pictures for opinions on how the bluegrass will handle the second application.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Certainty second application

Post by andy10917 » September 17th, 2019, 9:23 pm

The manufacturer and a couple of university studies show that 3 apps of Certainty need to be down by September 15th. Certainty does not work as well in the cooler weather. It should be pretty obvious that you're not going to have 3 apps down by September 15th.
For suppression, apply 0.25 ounce of this product per acre. For control, up to two additional applications of 0.25 ounce of this product per acre at 14- to 21-dayintervals may be made. Make all applications between June 1 and September 15. For severe Poa trivialis infestations, apply a single application of 0.75 ounce per acre of this product in late summer, 21 to 28 days prior to overseeding creeping bentgrass in a renovation approach. This treatment will result in temporary chlorosis and discoloration, and will temporarily affect the growth pattern of the desirable turf.

jgreve

Post by jgreve » September 17th, 2019, 9:32 pm

Thanks for the info Andy.
Looks like June 1 2020 I will get the box back out.
Also just a personal not. I always love reading your responses. New to the forum but have been reading your info for a couple years.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » September 17th, 2019, 9:51 pm

Much appreciated.

KBGkicksazz
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by KBGkicksazz » September 18th, 2019, 5:53 am

Where are you located?

With the good response you are seeing to the TF on the ropes I’d be inclined to do a second application as I bet you’ll kill quite a bit of it even with just the second app.

That’s a really good response you’ve got going. Even if you don’t get 100% kill once you reduce the TF amount you can follow up with spot sprays.

PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest

Post by PSU4ME » September 18th, 2019, 9:01 am

I did a three round application this year according to the book. It worked well and in between applications you need to rake out what you can, the triv isn’t rooted deep.

As Andy has said, this is a multi year battle! Use Tenacity to light it up, then certainty. I’m thinking 3 years at a minimum, likely double!

jgreve

Post by jgreve » September 18th, 2019, 9:23 am

Thanks guys appreciate the info. Figured this was going to be a long battle which I am ok with. I live in Northwest Ohio close to Lima Ohio. Thinking about doing another application even though it mite not be warm enough. My question is would I be doing more harm than good by doing a scond application being temps are dropping?

KBGkicksazz
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by KBGkicksazz » September 18th, 2019, 1:27 pm

Unless I’m misunderstanding the OP he’s going after the TF not triv.

If that’s the case if it were me (having done what he’s trying to do) I would hit the TF again label be damned.

He has great response and TF once in that state is on the ropes and can be killed off.
PSU4ME wrote:
September 18th, 2019, 9:01 am
I did a three round application this year according to the book. It worked well and in between applications you need to rake out what you can, the triv isn’t rooted deep.

As Andy has said, this is a multi year battle! Use Tenacity to light it up, then certainty. I’m thinking 3 years at a minimum, likely double!