Clovers everywhere

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
reggie517
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Clovers everywhere

Post by reggie517 » September 18th, 2019, 11:53 am

So this year I have been hit with clovers much harder then normal. I used dimension as a pre-emergent but that doesn't seem to help.

I used Round up for lawns and it didn't help much and actually killed some grass. I plan on using tenacity to get rid of them next time.

My main question is there a way to prevent them from germinating. Also has this year been worse for them in general? I don't mind the look of them but they are crowding out my TTTF and causing it to die.

darkcrisis
Grass Type: TTTF

Re: Clovers everywhere

Post by darkcrisis » September 18th, 2019, 6:19 pm

When did you apply your dimension? If you applied it this spring, there is a good possibility it has warn off allowing the clover to germinate.

If all you need to get rid of is clover, I would use Weed B Gon Chickweed Clover Oxalis killer (Triclopyr) with the purple label. I'd save the tenacity for the hard to kill stuff.

Aviator8
Grass Type: Tall and Fine Fescue

Post by Aviator8 » September 18th, 2019, 6:58 pm

CCO works to knock them down but may take more than one application at 2-3 week intervals. Clover Is usually a sign of poor soil health I think.

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Post by northeastlawn » September 18th, 2019, 8:12 pm

I did a double take when I saw "Round Up for Lawns" :-)

But I checked and thats a thing, most ppl on here would never even take a chance with anything with round up on it :-)

For clover you want something with "triclopyr", a good big box brand is weed -b-gone ivory and clover killer concentrate.

It can take a few apps about 14 days apart though to do its job. Its a slow kill. I have had great luck doing the weed triangle on this site. I started on Sept 1st with generic weed-b-gone and applied 2 apps 7 days a part. That really put a hurt on the clover. Then one app of triclopyr did the trick.

If you only have clover, plan on it taking a little longer, but time is running out.

agn015
Grass Type: Hogan Blend - GTO/Hemi/Hot Rod TTTF Everest/Award/Everglade/Midnight KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by agn015 » September 19th, 2019, 9:11 am

+1 on triclopyr. I had a few large patches of clover this spring that I hit twice, 2 weeks apart and 95% of the clover is gone. I have a few stragglers that I must have missed or only hit once. I'm planning to hit them again soon.

I've never had good luck with tenacity on clover. Yes it turns white, but it always came back strong. Maybe I didn't time the follow up sprays properly since my main goal was to use it as a pre emergent... Either way go with the triclopyr.

flyingfish88
Grass Type: TTTF/PRG/FF

Post by flyingfish88 » September 19th, 2019, 10:11 am

this is a great time of year to hit it with triclopyr too as the temps are cooling down!