Drain tile install soon - how to repair lawn

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
roblanderson
Grass Type: Nomix
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Drain tile install soon - how to repair lawn

Post by roblanderson » October 2nd, 2019, 12:06 pm

Hello all - would appreciate any recommendations on how to best proceed re-establishing a small part of my lawn after some work I'm having done early next week.

The back of my property has a berm to prevent water from draining to the yards behind us and instead direct it towards a storm drain. It doesn't drain as designed so, along with a couple neighbors, we're having drain tile installed to help get the water moving. My yard is 87' across and I'm guessing it'll be a 2' - 3' wide section that will need reseeded. So somewhere around 250 sq ft. The contractor is going to regrade when finished, but I am going to seed myself.

I know we are well past the ideal time to get seed down, but I'm not sure what the best approach is now. I have plenty of leftover Hogan Blend TTTF & KBG (80/20) that I used in another part of the yard about 5 weeks ago. I would be fine putting that down and then re-seeding again next Spring as needed. Then if things really don't go well I could just kill it and renovate next Fall at the appropriate time.

What would you do?

RTM
Grass Type: TTTF, KBG

Re: Drain tile install soon - how to repair lawn

Post by RTM » October 2nd, 2019, 2:53 pm

I'm probably one of the worst to give advice here, but what about getting a sod cutter to remove the grass before they dig? They're about $60-100 a day to rent near me.

schreibdave
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by schreibdave » October 2nd, 2019, 3:08 pm

RTM wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 2:53 pm
I'm probably one of the worst to give advice here, but what about getting a sod cutter to remove the grass before they dig? They're about $60-100 a day to rent near me.
That sounds like the plan to me too!

roblanderson
Grass Type: Nomix

Post by roblanderson » October 2nd, 2019, 9:53 pm

RTM - appreciate the suggestion! I will look into rental options near me and consider it more. How long will cut sod survive? I'd need to cut it on Sunday and store it until after they finish the job, which could be Monday or Tuesday.

This grass that they'll be digging up is probably the worst on my entire lot - it sits under water whenever it rains for a significant amount of time. In fact, it is currently under water, so using a sod cutter might not even be an option.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by TimmyG » October 2nd, 2019, 10:16 pm

Rain garden. Or straight up wetland garden.

...until that drain tile solves the problem. Boooo!

schreibdave
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by schreibdave » October 3rd, 2019, 4:57 am

I would think the sod would be ok for a couple of days given that the temps are cooling off. But if saving it isn't an option I would think that you may be looking at going through the winter with bare soil. Maybe PR will germinate and survive? I would think about strategies for preventing erosion over the winter so that at least in the spring your soil is still where it belongs. Maybe drop seed in Nov and hope it takes in the spring? Whatever you do I would plan for a mini Reno in the fall to get that area up to snuff with the rest of your lawn. Good luck,