Brown blades in otherwise apparently healthy lawn

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
mped7
Grass Type: Bluegrass
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Brown blades in otherwise apparently healthy lawn

Post by mped7 » October 7th, 2019, 11:51 am

Can any one suggest why I have so many brown blades in my otherwise apparently healthy lawn? The problem isn't brown patches, just brown blades dispersed evenly across the lawn just enough to be noticeable. This is in SW Ohio, and the grass has been watered deeply and regularly all summer. It gets commercially applied fertilizer and weed control, and until the cut just before this pic was mowed at the mower's highest setting with a mulching blade. Thanks in advance for your observations.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Re: Brown blades in otherwise apparently healthy lawn

Post by bpgreen » October 7th, 2019, 3:44 pm

BBDL (Brown Blades Down Low)?

If you search the site for BBDL, you'll find a number of threads about it. That may be what you're seeing. The timing seems about right.

mped7
Grass Type: Bluegrass
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Brown blades in otherwise apparently healthy lawn

Post by mped7 » October 7th, 2019, 4:42 pm

Thank you for your response. You may be correct, however, I failed to mention that my entire lawn has displayed this look all season, and my neighbors' lawns similarly cared for don't seem to exhibit this issue. In the picture below you're looking down the property line with one of my neighbors. My side is on the left, theirs on the right. Mine may not be horrible, but the scattered brown is noticeable. This is my first year in this house so I'm not sure exactly how the lawn was previously cared for, but it didn't look bad at all last year (can't say I noticed whether there was the scattered brown). I'm really puzzled! Any suggestions would be appreciated!