First Frost

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

First Frost

Post by PSU4ME » October 7th, 2019, 12:45 pm

So according to Andy’s fall nitrogen guidelines, we are to apply Urea until the first frost/AFFD.

Where I live (01748), AFFD is a week away and on Sunday our golf course issued a frost delay and from what I could see there was a light frost and a temp that got to 35 degree ish.

So my question is this: Would you do one more round of urea and not consider the light frost, or stop here and let the pause happen?

Temps today are in the 70s (go figure) but for the next 10 days we are seeing rainy weather with temps in the 50/60s.

Thanks

Pway
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Re: First Frost

Post by Pway » October 7th, 2019, 2:59 pm

I am not doing the fall nitrogen program but as far as average first frost, our date is October 20 but last year was actually 20 days after that and the few years before were later than average too.

JHazzardB
Grass Type: Front Yard: KBG blend. Back Bewitched/Nuglade
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Post by JHazzardB » October 7th, 2019, 5:36 pm

I think Andy's AFFD is to help people get the ballpark idea of when to stop the urea. If you got a frost, I think I would stop with the applications. Your grass probably got the hint that cool temps are quickly approaching. I'm not that experienced though and wait for smarter people to weigh in.

PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest

Post by PSU4ME » October 7th, 2019, 8:55 pm

Thanks guys. I’m leaning toward stopping (I mean it’s only 1 week short) but I was wondering the thought considering it was a light frost with temps really rebounding afterwards.

Lawn is growing good and rain all week coming!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » October 7th, 2019, 9:57 pm

Actual first frost means nothing - frost does not stop growth. Average first frost date is merely an indicator of when growth is likely to stop in the future. You can have an early frost one year and a late one the next, but average first frost date doesn't change materially over time.

Oldschool
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by Oldschool » October 8th, 2019, 9:02 pm

My first frost has been 2 weeks beyond average for the last three years. In 2018, I kept up my weekly Urea apps until actual first frost (9 apps). This year I scheduled my seven Urea apps based upon the actual first frost from the previous two years (2 weeks beyond average). Hit it just right, 3 days after final Urea app, frost.

Use average as a starting point your first year. Document each years actual first frost and schedule the seven apps accordingly.