Seed selection help

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Wally
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Seed selection help

Post by Wally » October 12th, 2019, 5:01 pm

I have a section of the lawn that didn't do well in the last drought. It pretty much looks dead. Anyway, I'm thinking of adding some topsoil to even things out, and seeding next spring. It's on a hill with plenty of rocks underneath.

I need a blend that will do really well surviving hot-dry spells as this will be non-irrigated turf. Do I go with TTTF, drought hardy KBG, or something like LICA's Sunny MIx? Some other blend? The LICA Sunny Mix contains:
30% Diva Kentucky Bluegrass
20% Exacta II GLS Perennial Ryegrass
30% Fairmont Chewing Fescue
20% Charismatic II Perennial Ryegrass

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Re: Seed selection help

Post by turf_toes » October 13th, 2019, 1:21 pm

Even with your predominantly Rye grass mix, you are way outside the optimal window for seeding this year.

Most people here are getting ready to wind their lawns down. You’d have gotten more feedback about your seed mix if you had posted in August or even early to mid September.

I’m hoping you’re planning for next year. First frost for this area isn’t that far off.

Wally
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by Wally » October 13th, 2019, 5:34 pm

For sure next spring.

Masbustelo
Grass Type: Mazama KBG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by Masbustelo » October 13th, 2019, 8:58 pm

There are many others with much more experience than me... But I think with that mix ratio you will basically end up with a perennial rye grass lawn. That may be what you had prior to the drought. I had similar problems this year and am looking at TTTF for portions of my yard next year. Supposedly TTTF handles both heat and cold better than perennial rye.