Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
TravisT
Grass Type: Fescue
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Novice

Yellowing after Meso 4 SC application

Post by TravisT » October 16th, 2019, 6:35 pm

Hi all,

I’m new around here, and I have a lot to read and take in from the forums, but it looks like I’m in the right place to take my lawn to the next level.

I have a quick question that may be time sensitive that I’d like to ask. I recently aerated and over seeded my lawn with tttf, and about 4 weeks later sprayed the entire yard with Meso 4 SC and a NIS. 7-10 days later, I had some yellowing in spots. Some were definitely weeds, but other areas appear to be fescue. My plan was to spot apply the yellow spots again in a week or two. Because it seems that the fescue is yellowing, I’m concerned about re-applying.

Hopefully those pictures help, but mature growth that’s yellowing, not the newly germinated fescue.

Looking forward to seeing what advice anyone can provide.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Yellowing after Meso 4 SC application

Post by andy10917 » October 16th, 2019, 6:48 pm

You neglected to post the application rate that you used.

TravisT

Post by TravisT » October 16th, 2019, 7:04 pm

Sorry I missed that detail. If I calculated correctly, it was about 2.5ml per 1K sqft. This was my first time applying anything other than what you could buy at a home improvement store, so hopefully I didn’t get it wrong.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » October 16th, 2019, 7:31 pm

At that rate, "branded" Tenacity shouldn't cause yellowing - I have no idea about Meso 4 SC (I haven't used it).

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » October 17th, 2019, 12:09 am

I see tall fescue clumps occasionally whiten at the tips when I apply at that rate (equivalently 1 tsp over 2K, or just less than 4 oz per acre). It never lasts. But it really depends on how well you're calibrated.

You threw me with "yellowing". Everyone and their brother calls it whitening, even the label. So I was expecting to see a unique response to mesotrione when I opened this thread.

TravisT

Post by TravisT » October 17th, 2019, 10:01 pm

LOL. Sorry for the click bait! It looked more yellow to me, and being new to the forums it didn't even dawn on me. It could very well be my calibration, this was my first attempt at this. At first I was hoping it was working as intended on clumps of weeds in the lawn, but on closer look it seemed to be fescue. I could still be wrong. I was more concerned that my newly germinated overseeding would be impacted, but that all seemed to do fine.

Because I think I'm nearing the end of my window of opportunity, would you recommend another application of Meso or another product?

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » October 17th, 2019, 10:31 pm

Another product for what? What are you targeting? You failed to mention why you applied mesotrione in the first place. "Clumps of weeds" is not a good answer. Mesotrione is used for very specific, otherwise difficult-to-control weeds. Mesotrione is a terrible choice for targeting run-of-the-mill salad greens (broadleaf weeds).

I know nothing of your season in VA.