Nomix plugs?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
southern-ct-4
Grass Type: PR/FF/KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Nomix plugs?

Post by southern-ct-4 » November 8th, 2019, 4:34 pm

Can I make nomix plugs? Or do plugs only work with KBG?

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Re: Nomix plugs?

Post by TimmyG » November 8th, 2019, 4:47 pm

You can grow plugs of whatever your heart desires. But understand that of the top desirable cool-season grasses, only KBG spreads. (I'm not including fine fescues.)

Pway

Post by Pway » November 8th, 2019, 4:48 pm

I’m going to guess that you can but the spreading would be less than all KBG. I just planted 8 KBG 10” pots yesterday.

southern-ct-4

Post by southern-ct-4 » November 8th, 2019, 5:42 pm

Understood on the spreading and thanks. These are for pretty small areas so I could probably just do KBG and it would blend in well enough, but I figured I'd throw in a little FF and PR to complete the mix.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » November 9th, 2019, 1:54 am

As has been said already, plugs in a mix work great, but the fill-in ability is lower for the other species. But use what you have, or what you need to match the grass you have. This time of year, you just want to get them planted before the ground freezes. I wouldn't get too hung up the type of grass plugs. You can always add more plugs or seed later on. In warm weather, if given a choice, the way I plug in a mix is to add the plugs (KBG or otherwise), and then add a little seed to the gaps. And then mow/fertilize to encourage thickening.

southern-ct-4

Post by southern-ct-4 » November 9th, 2019, 10:32 am

Green wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 1:54 am
As has been said already, plugs in a mix work great, but the fill-in ability is lower for the other species. But use what you have, or what you need to match the grass you have. This time of year, you just want to get them planted before the ground freezes. I wouldn't get too hung up the type of grass plugs. You can always add more plugs or seed later on. In warm weather, if given a choice, the way I plug in a mix is to add the plugs (KBG or otherwise), and then add a little seed to the gaps. And then mow/fertilize to encourage thickening.
Understood and thanks. I'm actually planning ahead for the spring. I was thinking of getting some grow lights and starting plugs in my basement in Jan/Feb/Mar so I could plant them in April/May, or something along those lines.

Pway

Post by Pway » November 9th, 2019, 11:01 am

southern-ct-4 wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 10:32 am
Green wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 1:54 am
Understood and thanks. I'm actually planning ahead for the spring. I was thinking of getting some grow lights and starting plugs in my basement in Jan/Feb/Mar so I could plant them in April/May, or something along those lines.
The last few years I have started KBG pots in late February in a room with a southern exposure.