Winter Discussion Topics

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Winter Discussion Topics

Post by andy10917 » December 15th, 2019, 9:32 am

When it gets quiet in the early Winter, we have the opportunity to discuss big topics in detail -- ones that we wouldn't have the time to handle when the topics/threads are flowing fast in the main season timeframe.

Does anyone have some topic(s) that you'd like to see discussed while there is lots of time to cover them? This is mostly for broad topics that will dive deep and go on for some time...

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Winter Discussion Topics

Post by andy10917 » December 17th, 2019, 9:45 am

*** Topic by JHazzardB moved to its own topic "Oak Tree: Heat/Water/Light" ***

Pway
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: Winter Discussion Topics

Post by Pway » December 17th, 2019, 1:57 pm

Maybe they’d belong on the other forums on irrigation and equipment but I’d be interested in hearing how long folks run their irrigation to get one inch. I know it depends on the water pressure and piping, and I also know about the tuna can measurement test. I think I have different heads dispersing different amount based on length and spray. I suspect my 55 minute run time only throws offa out 1/3 an inch. I’ve measured some zones but not all—a project for me next season. By way of background, I have 13 zones, 4 rainbird heads each, city water, run most zones 55 minutes twice a week as needed or adjusted based on rainfall and temperature.

The other topic maybe should be under equipment but I wonder what people do for winterizing their mowers. I’ve heard some run the tanks dry, others run stabil through the system and have the tank filled up, others run out the pump gas and replace it with a small amount of non ethanol gas that is run through for 10 minutes or so. I have not winterized my mowers yet as I still have some leaves to mulch.