Did moss ruin fall over-seed

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
spectrum1c
Grass Type: KBG front yard, Tall Fescue backyard
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Did moss ruin fall over-seed

Post by spectrum1c » December 17th, 2019, 11:22 am

So the backyard TTF lawn is really starting to look good this year, but had countless small bare patches and ruts from last years self-installed irrigation system. The patches were mostly unnoticeable because I mow high. I ignored the bare patches with the plan of a fall over-seed when conditions would be ideal. During the summer, moss thrived in many of these bare patches of which most are in full sun locations, which I attribute to shade from the surrounding grass along with plenty of nutrition from baystate fertilizer. Soil conditions should have been very good as it has been followed pretty closely with yearly soil analysis and treated accordingly (for this year, it was pretty close to ideal without much need additional intervention).

Unfortunately I had about 50% success rate with the fall over-seed as many of the bare patches remained. I strongly believe these patches are where moss was growing. I did try to break up the moss with a rake, but it was pretty well rooted. I even tried to concentrate extra seeds on these areas to ensure some grass would grow. I used Titanium 2LS tall fescue

How would others approach next year? Should I plan for a spring over-seed to get ahead of the moss? I'd hate to have to irrigate heavily all summer season to get the new grass through the season. An alternative would be to somehow kill all the moss before a repeated fall over-seed. Next time around I'll be using a different cultivar (firecracker SLS) in-case my poor over-seed results were due to the Titanium not being suited for the yard conditions

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Did moss ruin fall over-seed

Post by andy10917 » December 17th, 2019, 10:53 pm

Treat the area with two doses of the Dawn dishwashing solution (use the Search function to find it) before seeding -- that should buy you the needed time for seeding. But make sure to find out what the reason is that Moss (which only succeeds where other plants won't) and address them. The Dawn solution is a temporary fix).

spectrum1c
Grass Type: KBG front yard, Tall Fescue backyard
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Re: Did moss ruin fall over-seed

Post by spectrum1c » December 18th, 2019, 8:22 pm

Thanks Andy. Found the previous post, which funny enough is from someone having the same issue who also lives on cape cod Massachusetts.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24623&p=330054&hilit=Moss#p330054

I didn't have a problem with Moss last year which I'm curious was due to heavy BLSC application that year (I'm guessing the detergent in the BLSC might have acted as a Moss deterrent).