Late nitrogen question

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
flyin-lowe
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre
Level: Some Experience

Late nitrogen question

Post by flyin-lowe » December 27th, 2019, 12:19 am

In the past I have put my winter nitrogen down around Thanksgiving, once temps get in the low 50's and top growth stops. Due to some scheduling issues I wasn't able to put any down this year and figured I would not get it down. The ground had frozen here in central Indiana but this week the snow thawed and the temps have been in the 60's during the day and above freezing over night. Temps are predicted to be above average for the next week or so. Right now there is some rain in the forecast for late this weekend. Assuming that the rain chances stay up is there any reason to not put down my winter nitrogen this late in the year. I am assuming it is OK since the ground is not currently frozen and if it gets rained in. I have a mill close by that usually has Urea or Ammonium sulfate. I haven't been in this year to see which they have.

Thanks

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Late nitrogen question

Post by andy10917 » December 27th, 2019, 8:48 am

There is only a short 2-3 week period following the stoppage of top growth where root activity continues, and the roots will store the "winterizing" Nitrogen. Once root growth stops, the application of Nitrogen will not have the desired effect, and is useless. If the ground has been frozen after that period, it's clear that the roots have stopped for the Winter. Raining in the Nitrogen won't change the scenario won't work - the opportunity is passed.

flyin-lowe
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre

Post by flyin-lowe » December 27th, 2019, 9:59 am

Thanks for the info, saved me some time and money!!

Wors
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by Wors » December 31st, 2019, 4:21 pm

I agree with Andy.

Keep in mind how many people don't apply quick release N at the optimum time. Do their lawns still green up in spring? In spring if you notice your lawn growing slow and not greening up then apply a little N.