2020: What Did You Do On Your Lawn Today?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
DevilDawg81
Grass Type: KBG, PRG, Fescue mix
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: 2020: What Did You Do On Your Lawn Today?

Post by DevilDawg81 » September 14th, 2020, 9:24 pm

Mowed back lawn, then lowered HOC and mowed again. Cut back some of the time on the sprinklers on my reno area

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » September 15th, 2020, 8:00 am

It started late this year, but the trees (especially Maples) are shedding the "tired leaves" so heavily that they're making what we call "leaf storms" - the slightest breeze brings down hundreds of leaves at once.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » September 15th, 2020, 5:13 pm

andy10917 wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 8:00 am
It started late this year, but the trees (especially Maples) are shedding the "tired leaves" so heavily that they're making what we call "leaf storms" - the slightest breeze brings down hundreds of leaves at once.
Interesting.

We had a wind storm last week (gusts up to 99 mph). My cherry tree has no leaves at all. I think my maple lost more branches than leaves. It always seems to hang on to most of its leaves until we've had a couple of snows.

edslawn
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by edslawn » September 20th, 2020, 9:49 am

Cold snap hitting central PA...temps in mid-30s this AM. On Saturday, put down 1lb/k Urea and watered it in for the aggressive fall plan on 20k. Also, started getting the shed and garage cleaned up for winter. I was too pooped to post. Clean up continues today...

Runnin Tony
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: < 1000

Post by Runnin Tony » September 20th, 2020, 2:39 pm

Feel like I'm behind the curve down here just north of Atlanta.

Put down a late application of quinclorac today. Targeting overseed in 10 days or so (hoping safe after quinclorac). Will order Hogan's blend tomorrow.

Looking into liquid or granular aeration. I want to avoid mechanical but have georgia clay beneath the soil so need to avoid compaction

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by MorpheusPA » September 20th, 2020, 4:43 pm

Fed again! Another 7.2 pounds of Milo per K went down. It hasn't rained since the last app, so I have a backup of 14.4 pounds waiting for rainfall.

Which is not expected until next week. I'm not mowing and the lawn is doing fine, unlike most of the others around me which are sliding back into dormancy. Mine is long, shaggy, starting its own rock band, but doing just fine.

fun4me2

Post by fun4me2 » September 20th, 2020, 6:44 pm

Each winter, on average, your risk of frost is from September 28 through May 10.
Almost certainly, however, you will receive frost from October 9 through April 26.
You are almost guaranteed that you will not get frost from May 24 through September 17.
Your frost-free growing season is around 141 days
Had our first frost on Saturday Sept. 19, and again today and expected again tomorrow. :no:

So..........the frost was only on my windshield not on the grass.
Does that count? :tease:

Richardgrasser
Grass Type: Fescue/Bluegrass
Level: Novice

Post by Richardgrasser » September 20th, 2020, 8:43 pm

Dethatched for the first time. Started out with a rake but ended up renting a power raker. I completely filled my green waste bin with dead grass. I was blown away by how much there was. This may have been why my grass had not been such a deep green. Time will tell.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » September 27th, 2020, 11:14 am

Bear family had dinner party over a 100' path in the yard -5th time in the past couple of weeks. Everyone is getting hit. There are bears everywhere around here.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Post by ken-n-nancy » September 27th, 2020, 2:27 pm

andy10917 wrote:
September 27th, 2020, 11:14 am
Bear family had dinner party over a 100' path in the yard -5th time in the past couple of weeks. Everyone is getting hit. There are bears everywhere around here.
Haven't had any bears in our lawn today, but today is the 2-year anniversary of when we did have 4 young bears harvesting acorns out of our oak trees, particularly including the one that I was just about to start mowing underneath...
ken-n-nancy wrote:
September 27th, 2018, 8:44 pm
Today, when I pushed the mower over to the side lawn, I was dismayed to see a whole bunch of small fallen branches, bark pieces, and twigs with healthy leaves under the huge white oak tree at the edge of our lawn, particularly as I had just picked up a whole bunch of fallen oak tree parts this morning! Indeed, this has been the case practically every day for the past week. I've been worried that the tree had some sort of disease or something, although a lot of the twigs have appeared as if they've been broken off, rather than died.

Then, just as I was standing there, trying to find the encouragement to pick up another batch of fallen oak tree parts, a small branch comes fluttering down next to me from out of the tree, so I look up into the tree, and there's a black bear in the tree! Wait, there's not just one black bear, there's two!

I decided I better head into the house to continue my observation of the bears and ended up filming the video linked below.

Turns out, there were actually 4 bears in two big trees in our yard! Guess I need to put "look for bears" on my "getting ready to mow the lawn" checklist! :-)

Video of Bears in Ken-n-Nancy's Oak Tree - http://www.solidrocksolutions.com/aty/2 ... -Trees.mp4

edslawn

Post by edslawn » September 27th, 2020, 6:22 pm

No bears, but a lot of squirrels getting ready for winter aerating my lawn. Put down 1 lb\k urea in front and a half lb\k on the new sod in back.

Due to the lack of rain, I'm also watering it all in. Continual worries about watering off my well and going dry, so the new water system drawing off the creek is coming next week. Should give me unlimited water for my purposes for the foreseeable future.

Richardgrasser

Post by Richardgrasser » September 27th, 2020, 9:56 pm

Top dressed with compost and peat moss. Over seeded as well with 4th millennium. Hoping for the best as the heat is picking back up this week in my area. Should be the last wave before it cools down.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG

Post by MorpheusPA » September 28th, 2020, 7:52 pm

Fed again! This is the 3rd September/October feed, but since we've had no rain, it's all backing up into October. This one is synthetic, 0.8 pounds N, some of that slow release. I've got about 1.5 pounds of backed-up N waiting to release, with just a small amount of rainfall last night, and much more expected over the next two days--the first rainfall since September 3rd.

About half the N (0.8-ish pounds) is slow release, much of it organic, and will take time to decay in during October.

RTM
Grass Type: TTTF, KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by RTM » September 29th, 2020, 8:13 pm

Spread some urea and it felt great. Been neglecting the lawn this year as work has been more intense. Don't get me wrong, my lawn has still been getting hit with milo.

Just wanted to say, I've been trying to donate, but the donation link isn't working for me. Really have appreciated this site and the Admins.

Runnin Tony
Grass Type: Tall Fescue

Post by Runnin Tony » October 2nd, 2020, 8:21 pm

Overseed went down this afternoon. Hogan blend on most of the yard. Links mix on the side of the house has thinned every year I've lived at the house due to shade.

Then the curveball - Pike Nursury "Atlanta Fescue Blend" on a portion on a previous bed/pinestraw area. SO decided we needed to push back the size of the bed last weekend after I already ordered from Hogan. Hopefully the different blends don't clash too bad.

Timing should be good with at least 6 weeks until first frost (hopefully)

edslawn

Post by edslawn » October 3rd, 2020, 8:10 pm

Good day... Cut at 3", 1 lb/k urea and watered it in.

HSB3-LI
Grass Type: Blueberry, Midnight, Prosperity Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by HSB3-LI » October 5th, 2020, 7:14 am

Spread 1 1/2 yards of compost over the back yard in hopes to start improving soil for a potential renovation next year

Jackson
Grass Type: Cool Northern
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by Jackson » October 5th, 2020, 11:33 pm

Richardgrasser wrote:
September 20th, 2020, 8:43 pm
Dethatched for the first time. Started out with a rake but ended up renting a power raker. I completely filled my green waste bin with dead grass. I was blown away by how much there was. This may have been why my grass had not been such a deep green. Time will tell.
How is your lawn looking now that it’s had some time to recover?

Knew My lawn needed it in a few spots. Dethatched today and I couldn’t believe how much thatch came up, there was so much that it was having trouble getting discharged out of the rear on the first pass. Ran out of lawn bags on the front. I’m sure it will look great in a couple of weeks, but it’s the first time my neighbor’s yard has totally dominated mine.

Richardgrasser

Post by Richardgrasser » October 6th, 2020, 9:28 am

Jackson wrote:
October 5th, 2020, 11:33 pm
Richardgrasser wrote:
September 20th, 2020, 8:43 pm
How is your lawn looking now that it’s had some time to recover?

Knew My lawn needed it in a few spots. Dethatched today and I couldn’t believe how much thatch came up, there was so much that it was having trouble getting discharged out of the rear on the first pass. Ran out of lawn bags on the front. I’m sure it will look great in a couple of weeks, but it’s the first time my neighbor’s yard has totally dominated mine.
It hasn’t really recovered yet but the new seeds are just starting to grow out. I had heat stress or fungus and lowering the height of cut prior to dethatching exposed more of the yellowing grass and cut off the nice new growth. Once the new grass grows out it will look great again.

Not sure if you rented but I will likely buy an electric dethatcher and do this yearly. I did 2 passes and each time was surprised at the amount that was removed.

fun4me2

Post by fun4me2 » October 7th, 2020, 7:04 am

and so it begins.... :amen:
Mulch mowing oak (neighbors tree) and maple leaves (mine) every 3 days.
Actually the squirrels are having a field day going up and down the oak tree dropping the "triple" leaf bunch.
Did I mention it's raining acorns also on the neighbors cars? :no:
Their driveway, the street, and a little on the edge of my property (I live across the street) is covered with acorns
and those oak leaf bunches.
After today's expected "high winds"...
It should be a fun day tomorrow. :)