Tenacity Experience During Seeding/Germination/Young Blades

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
mobiledynamics
Grass Type: KBG / going to try TTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Tenacity Experience During Seeding/Germination/Young Blades

Post by mobiledynamics » January 28th, 2020, 1:34 pm

Aside from what the label says, what has been your experience with Tenacity applied

Post directly seeding during the Germination Window
and or post germination On Young 1st Blade/Shoot......

In my experience sofar, when apply at half rate in both scenarios, the only side effect would be some bleaching on the tips, but it still germinated just fine. I can't say for sure if it -extended the KBG pause-.

I'm going to give dormant seeding a shot. I'll be putting down Tenacity is said areas come @ PreM time. Hypothetically, let's say at time of Tenacity application, seeds have germinated and I'm seeing little fuzzies of green . I have yet to see a ill-adverse side effect, but wondering what the ATY consensus is.

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Re: Tenacity Experience During Seeding/Germination/Young Blades

Post by northeastlawn » January 30th, 2020, 11:08 pm

What type of seed are you using?

Did you have a CG problem in this area before?

I have a sister that tries spring seeding every year despite all the reasons I tell her it probably isn't going to work. I also have one section of my house that I have determined is probably better seeded in the spring. So I have tried it more than a few times and seeding in August is so much more reliable.

But you have the right idea; a Tenacity app at seed down, then hopefully that first cut can happen when its still time to put Dimension down as a post app/pre-m. This would work with PR that germinates very quickly and could grow fast enough to cut within the tenacity coverage and time for a Dimension app.

My sister's lawn was neglected for a long time and she has years of CG seed in her front lawn. I did the tenacity app with the seed, then a Dimension app after she got some growth. The CG still grew like gang busters. This will be the first year she will get a proper Pre-m down because she seeded in the Fall last year.

The theory is sound, but in practice I'm not sure it works all that great. I haven't had great like with post CG control, but then again my sisters lawn is a worse case scenario. I can't wait tempt a pre-m down this year, I am curious if the pre-m will keep the CG out.

If you don't have a CG problem, maybe live with any CG that comes up this spring. I have seeded my hell strips in the spring and didn't do a pre-m, i didnt get any CG last year. It might be something you can skip.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » February 1st, 2020, 1:29 am

[quote=mobiledynamics post_id=338231 time=1580232891 user_id=9376]
Aside from what the label says, what has been your experience with Tenacity applied

directly seeding during the Germination Window
[/quote]

I have applied Tenacity at the last minute at least once, on Perennial Ryegrass. I saw the first seed or two coming up through the topdressing. Thankfully, it did not hurt anything. One more data point...

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » February 24th, 2020, 1:15 pm

Honestly, just follow the label for Tenacity - it's really good.

The first, recommended application after seed down is just about the time things are tillering (new blade shoots). So, that lines right up with what they recommend.