Pointless double Pre-M after Tenacity

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
mobiledynamics
Grass Type: KBG / going to try TTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Pointless double Pre-M after Tenacity

Post by mobiledynamics » February 10th, 2020, 6:19 pm

If I do a broadcast spray on tenacity on a small area I overseed, give it take 3-4 weeks later, would it be pointless/useless to lay down something like Prodiamine after Tenacity's life window. Depending on how much growth I see out of the overseed, I might just do a second app of Tenacity

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Pointless double Pre-M after Tenacity

Post by andy10917 » February 10th, 2020, 7:10 pm

I don't think so.

In my opinion, the pre-emergent qualities are no match against Prodiamine or Dimension. It's more like a pretty good side-effect that it works at seeding time, but you'll have to repeat it every 4-5 weeks, instead of the months that Prodiamine/Dimension coverage lasts. Also, remember that the annual application for an area is a total of 16 oz/acre. I'm not sure that the more-expensive, shorter-acting, less-effective product (as a Pre-M) holds much water.

PS: this is not an indictment of Tenacity AT ALL, as a POST-emergent herbicide -- it works great.

mobiledynamics
Grass Type: KBG / going to try TTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by mobiledynamics » February 10th, 2020, 8:03 pm

yeah, I know. I will have to dig up the labels on it and see rehash what it says on -new growth-. I guess it will also depend if my -dormant seeding- goes potentially give me a 10-14 day faster germ. rate into the spring season I suppose.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » February 11th, 2020, 11:43 pm

If you have low crabgrass pressure, Tenacity can do great during its 4-6 week window. But it's up to you to figure out the best way to follow that first app. Personally, I usually end up doing 2 or even 3 Tenacity apps, stretched out as far as possible, and then followed by a low rate of a normal pre-M for the rest of the period if I'm concerned about crabgrass. But sometimes I feel comfortable going without one.

KBGkicksazz
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by KBGkicksazz » February 14th, 2020, 7:59 am

Have gone through this whole thing with multi seedings and a spring reno the PreM is a must.

Tenacity is great at beating back “some” of the weeds from germinating and also allows you to beat back stuff that does pop up especially more mature crabgrass that Quinclorac might not zap.

To me, Tenacity is the stop gap until you get into the PreM window.