Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Dargin
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Struggling to control fungus

Post by Dargin » March 13th, 2020, 8:33 am

Hey guys. Hope all is well.

Well...had a rough run last year. From last spring on I've been dealing with what I believe to be some type of leaf spot disease(s). I first treated it with granular azoxy and propiconazole. It took about 50 days to get things looking healthy. Not being 100% sure of the fungus type I had held off on nitrogen until then. I gave it a 1/2 dose of BSF on July 12, and in less than a week, and a spike in temps, I was dealing with a lot of this:

I cycled azoxy and propiconazole from then on, but never really gained control; environmental conditions didn't help. I felt I had to hold of on N throughout most of this, so the lawn got nothing more than an app of BSF in May and 1/2 app in July. Lawn went to sleep looking wilted and melty...

I'm guessing my new friends are waiting to say hello again. Or maybe already have?

Soil temps are around 40-45 here recently.
Is it advisable to start treatment now? Or do I need to wait for the lawn to fully wake up to really uptake the app?

I plan to go with a liquid azoxy and propiconazole this year, unless someone has a suggestion. Initially the disease did respond well to the granular versions of these, until I blew things up in the summer. Worrying a bit about possible strobin and DMI resistances, but still looking into alternatives.

I'll also armed to the teeth with Serenade.

Thanks for reading and good luck this year!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Struggling to control fungus

Post by andy10917 » March 13th, 2020, 2:22 pm

First of all, I moved this to "Cool Season" from "Lawn Care Basics 101" - it's not a "101"-level topic.
From last spring on I've been dealing with what I believe to be some type of leaf spot disease(s). I first treated it with granular azoxy and propiconazole. It took about 50 days to get things looking healthy. Not being 100% sure of the fungus type
I think the smart move is to get the fungus diagnosed by a Cooperative Extension service or a lab like Rutgers that specializes in turfgrass diseases - if this is repeating then you need to know what you're fighting and get the right products. Otherwise, you are flaiilng around and hoping to be lucky.

Dargin

Post by Dargin » March 13th, 2020, 6:46 pm

Ah, sorry about that. Figured if it was on my mind it must be 101.

Making sense as always, Andy. I've been guessing all along, kinda hoping those two fungicides would cover all the bases, but I'll never be sure like that. I was leaning toward getting samples to umass coop a couple years ago, but the disease subsided and I let it slide... Time to bite the $100 bullet.

I think I can get a sample to Rutgers by the end of the month.

Is there anything else I could be doing in the meantime?

Thanks, man.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)

Post by andy10917 » March 13th, 2020, 6:56 pm

The latest estimates say there are about 5.1 million fungi. Obviously many, many, many don't infect turfgrass, but proper identification let's you know which one you're dealing with and that leads to a proper product selection, application rate and a proper fertilization plan to recover the health (more or less N).

Education is the best thing you can do at this point, although I'm sure that you're tempted to do "something" now. Resist the temptation.

Dargin

Post by Dargin » May 13th, 2020, 7:27 am

I never got a sample to Rutgers. Within a couple weeks of the original post there wasn't anything I could find to send off. My plan is to continue at least weekly 4oz serenade apps. If I see the fungus again Rutgers will be my Plan A.

I can see now that left spot isn't just one thing. From what I've read some fungal diseases can actually be exacerbated by the wrong fungicide application. Then there's the issue of building fungicide resistances. I also dont like the idea of sacrificing beneficial fungi all willy nilly.

Things look very healthy right now. Game plan in place.
Thanks again.

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by bernstem » May 13th, 2020, 4:28 pm

Great outcome and proof that you don't always need to jump straight to the big guns. Often fungi are a product of temporary conditions and as conditions change, the disease will fade. The hard part is determining what needs to be dealt with and what can be waited out.

Dargin

Post by Dargin » May 13th, 2020, 5:57 pm

Right on. After last Summer I thought for sure I'd need to come out swinging this spring. Had very little confidence the lawn could bounce back like it has from the condition it was in. I was expecting to see significant thinning and maybe even a period of melting out after overwintering. Counting my blessings.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 17th, 2020, 9:36 am

Make sure your mower is cutting well. I see some brown tips in your top pic.

A wounded plant is more susceptible to desease.

Dargin

Post by Dargin » May 17th, 2020, 3:25 pm

Good point. I sharpened the blade pretty darn good before that mow too; do it every 2-3 mows. But yeah, I see what you're seeing. Im not rushing the mowing either, slow and steady. Seems there's always some raggedy ends, but overall I'm getting a much better cut than in the past.

I think I gotta pick up a torque wrench and make sure things are ok on that end. I forgot how important that is...

But in the end maybe 166cc's just doesn't cut it at a certain point.
I'll check the torque. Thanks.