Been struggling with control this weed.. any suggestions?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
GTALawn
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Been struggling with control this weed.. any suggestions?

Post by GTALawn » April 2nd, 2020, 8:34 am

For years, I had very good of weeds in my lawn. My main approach was to pull any weeds I saw during each lawn mowing and also to selective spray individual dandelions.

However, a couple years back we lost a city side Ash tree to emerald ash borer. When city ground the tree stump, they broadcast some grass seed that seems to be heavily contaminated with a weed seed as well. Nearly everyone who had the city applied seed have developed a case of this weed over growing their lawn.

I hand pulled nearly half my small front yard making a mess of it and tried reseeding but since it’s such an aggressive weed it tends toniut grow the seed germination. It’s now spread to my rear lawn as well. I’m think it got carried over from my lawn mower/bagging.. in one season it’s taken over 30% of my backyard as well.

A few years ago I stop my normal Scott’s routine and went with Milorganite.

I have tried Bayer Advance spraying the head of the clumps 2-3x every 2 weeks and it didn’t help.

I tried painting the leaves with round-up and while it did kill the head of the clumps, the lateral roots were not effected the weed would grow around the perimeter or 1cm away...

I believe it’s Dallisgrass, can anyone confirm it is is or just normal crabgrass... I’ve never struggled with crab grass control in the past for 20years..

Any suggestions on products that work or approach. A full lawn renovation isn’t possible as my neighbours grass in the front is worse and he isn’t interested in controlling it... very anti-product.

I have a relative in th States that can bring some products.

I live in the greater Toronto area and have KBG lawn with a few different elite KBG seeds to lay down in the next couple weeks.

Pway
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: Been struggling with control this weed.. any suggestions?

Post by Pway » April 2nd, 2020, 11:41 am

I’m not an expert but it could be annual rye grass, which has those reddish or purplish base and is bunch forming, pointed leaf. I have some in one isolated area of my lawn and it looks a lot like your picture. Others with more expertise will likely weigh in.