Growth Regulator vs Spring Growth

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
JHazzardB
Grass Type: Front Yard: KBG blend. Back Bewitched/Nuglade
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Growth Regulator vs Spring Growth

Post by JHazzardB » April 3rd, 2020, 11:24 am

Okay, just trying to get a count of who/if anyone uses a PGR to control their spring growth. I'm mowing about 2 times a week now and taking off over an inch per time in certain parts of the yard. Thinking about telling the yard to take it easy in certain areas with a PGR.

Thoughts?

LeftField11
Grass Type: KBG - Bewitched, Blueberry, Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Re: Growth Regulator vs Spring Growth

Post by LeftField11 » May 25th, 2020, 10:40 am

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I found this post through a search for "PGR", and no one ever responded. I just ordered a gallon of T-Nex from Amazon. It's pricey, but it should last me 2+ years.

I'm not so concerned about growth and mowing, but in reading through 20+ pages of posts on another forum, I learned that there are benefits to using a PGR aside from growth regulation. So I don't have any experience to share, but I've decided to give it a try on my KBG lawn.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by turf_toes » May 25th, 2020, 4:12 pm

Yeah. Most of these posts have been answered at least a score of times. Best to use the search tool. These questions have been posted and answered repeatedly on this site for the last 11 years or so it has been around.

Searching this site for “growth regulator“ returns about 260 results. Searching for PGR returns more than 1,500 results.

The benefits include better color.

The biggest downside of a growth regulator is it can make dealing with certain lawn fungi more difficult. Specifically those that a non-regulated, healthy lawn can simply outgrow can become more troublesome when the grass is under regulation.

I used to apply it. But I think it makes balancing the care of your lawn more complicated than I care to make it.

It’s a useful tool if you are trying to introduce newer cultivars into a healthy lawn though. But that’s the sole reason I’d use it now.

PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by PSU4ME » May 25th, 2020, 7:46 pm

Very good points TT. I bought it with hopes of getting benefits but talked myself out of using it but I have used it in an overseer application. Definitely useful there.

If you have rust issues, that’s an example of where PGRs can make things worse.