Getting rid of Greenbriar

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
falcon
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG Blend
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Some Experience

Getting rid of Greenbriar

Post by falcon » April 5th, 2020, 12:40 pm

I have thickets of what I think is Greenbriar along some borders, which looks like this right now:

Usually you see it in the woods where the deer hang out. I don't recall it having leaves.

Does anyone have any idea how to kill it? I've seen several recommendations from 41% glyphosate sprayed on the leaves and stems, to cutting, followed by triclopyr brushed into the cuts, to just cutting over and over until eventual death (hopefully). I don't think glyphosate works on plants without leaves, so not sure if that method works...any help would be a godsend. I hate this stuff, as the thorn pierce through thick leather gloves!

The roots go on forever, and it's hard to find the bulb.

JHazzardB
Grass Type: Front Yard: KBG blend. Back Bewitched/Nuglade
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Re: Getting rid of Greenbriar

Post by JHazzardB » April 7th, 2020, 7:33 pm

Okay, I’ve noticed about 30 looks but no replies and I’ll do it.

Everyone’s thinking it soooo...sweet mother almighty. That stuff looks like hell.

Does it pop up from multiple stems? I don’t see much foliage. Glyphosate, I think, doesn’t work as well on stems as leaves. Cut stems though might be an option. If it were me, I’d take hedge clippers, my mower called Crusher, or loppers and physically remove as much as possible mechanically. I’d mulch it with my lawn mower and bag up debris. Then I’d find the cut stems coming out of the ground and apply glyphosate or a vine killer. I’d also keep spray on hand to hit anything that pops back up.

I hope someone else has a better idea. Maybe there’s a spray for vines that will wipe it out?

falcon

Post by falcon » April 7th, 2020, 7:54 pm

JHazzardB wrote:
April 7th, 2020, 7:33 pm
Okay, I’ve noticed about 30 looks but no replies and I’ll do it.

Everyone’s thinking it soooo...sweet mother almighty. That stuff looks like hell.

Does it pop up from multiple stems? I don’t see much foliage. Glyphosate, I think, doesn’t work as well on stems as leaves. Cut stems though might be an option. If it were me, I’d take hedge clippers, my mower called Crusher, or loppers and physically remove as much as possible mechanically. I’d mulch it with my lawn mower and bag up debris. Then I’d find the cut stems coming out of the ground and apply glyphosate or a vine killer. I’d also keep spray on hand to hit anything that pops back up.

I hope someone else has a better idea. Maybe there’s a spray for vines that will wipe it out?
Thank you for your reply. Yes, the stuff is awful. The thorns are 3/4"-1" long and literally the sharpest thorns I have ever encountered. Like I said, right through thick leather gloves. Instead of just grabbing it, I have to slide in the direction the thorn grows as I grab to minimize the penetration. But your arms still get torn to shreds through thick long sleeves when it inevitably wraps itself around you.

When you pull at what appears to be the base, the thing goes on forever underground, and connect to other upshoots. There is a bulb somewhere, but they are not easy to find. I've already cut the stuff off at the base and am removing what I can manually. It grows into trees and bushes and destroys them. I'll take a picture tomorrow of an evergreen that it has completely deformed. When it gets in the trees and bushes, you have to rip it out and hope you don't destroy what ypu are trying to save, which is pretty difficult. I am hoping to find a one and done solution!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » April 8th, 2020, 10:26 am

I am hoping to find a one and done solution!
Ummm, good luck with that.

I've never fought it, but a friend that has successfully beaten it says that he cut off the weed 12" above the soil and continually (weekly) painted the remaining stems with a mix of equal parts of Ortho Clover, Chickweed and OXalis Killer (8% Triclopyr) and water, until he outlasted the plant's reserves. Far from one-and-done...

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » April 8th, 2020, 1:07 pm

We eliminated it promptly and successfully by digging when we moved to TX from IL back in 1984, but the soil was pure sand (easy to dig), and there wasn't any vegetation of value on the new-construction property besides the trees. Just all greenbrier, poison oak, Texas bullnettle (evil!), sandbur, prickly pear, and a few tumbleweeds. Fun stuff.

If I were to deal with it here in MA with an established landscape, I would absolutely reach for triclopyr before anything else. Either paint the leaves if they're not intertwined with other vegetation or cut the stems like Andy mentioned, paint the stems, and get a good soaking into the cut ends. I've had far greater success using triclopyr than glyphosate on woody plants.

https://extension.uga.edu/publications/ ... Greenbrier

falcon

Post by falcon » April 8th, 2020, 6:45 pm

Thank you to everyone. It does seem like based on what I have read elsewhere, and the advice offered here, that triclopyr is the best bet. See you in three years!