Late Pre-em for transition zone?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
stevehollx
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Late Pre-em for transition zone?

Post by stevehollx » April 16th, 2020, 12:34 pm

I am trying to determine if I throw down a late blanket of prodiamine right now on my lawn, and if that would be a good idea. I think I'm right at the boundary of prodiamine lasting into the fall seeding window (+6mo). Wondering if it is worth any benefit this late to apply prodiamine vs.waiting for the second Tenacity post-e treatment (next week) and then chasing remaining crabgrass in mid-May with quinclorac (temperature permitting).

Here's where I'm at:
* Did not apply a pre-em this past fall when seeding, nor spring, as I overseeded both in the fall and spring. Created quite the weed problem now. Lesson learned that spring pre-em is better than spring seeding, but too late to course correct that decision.
* 15-Feb: I overseeded this spring in, since I still had bare spots from my fall seeding.
* 11-Apr: Blanket sprayed Tenacity as a post-emergent with sufficient. Also spot sprayed triclopyr on clover & chickweed patches.
* 15-Apr: Had a near frost at night after a stretch of a bunch of 85 days across March-April so far. Unsure if that was enough to kill the existing crabgrass, too, and/or restart a crabgrass growth cycle.
* 25-Apr: I plan to spot spray another round of Tenacity as a post-em on the crabgrass that whitens. So far nothing yet is white as of today 16-Apr.

Here are my upcoming Fall/Spring plans to back into.

Fall 2020 Plans:
* Overseed and spray tenacity at time of overseeding as a fall pre-em
* Follow up with second tenacity treatment as per guidelines after seedlings sprout.

Spring 2021:
* Apply prodiamine as forsythias bloom.
* No spring overseeding.

flyin-lowe
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: Late Pre-em for transition zone?

Post by flyin-lowe » April 22nd, 2020, 7:51 am

I'm not an expert at all but I use the Prodiamine 65 WDG. The directions have different application rates so you can better control when it 'wears off". You could use a little less to help control germination the next few months and still be able to overseed this fall. That is what I did.