Tenacity Expiration Date

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
SeanCapeCod
Grass Type: Kentucky Blue Grass Mix
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Tenacity Expiration Date

Post by SeanCapeCod » April 16th, 2020, 9:51 pm

Hi, I have a bottle of tenacity with an expiration date of 2016. I did a blanket spray in my front yard last week to help identify the POA. Do you think it's still good or any weaker? We had a warmer winter here on Cape Cod and I don't think the POA really died...? I did a really good job dropping dimensions late august and mid fall again at around 3lbs K too. Hopefully it works! Thanks.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Tenacity Expiration Date

Post by andy10917 » April 16th, 2020, 10:00 pm

Too many variables play on this to answer your question, Your best bet is to call the Syngenta help line (their's i pretty good) and ask. I suspect you'll get a similar answer.

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by northeastlawn » April 17th, 2020, 6:41 am

Im located close to you in S.E.Mass. The weather has been kind of wet and damp with a few good days in between. Kind of our typical spring, but it did warm up faster this year.

I would always try Tenacity 1st thing in the spring, the thinking being that I would get the POA Annua before the KBG wakes up. The problem is that even if some of the POA Annua is up now, there is a ton of it that hasn't popped up yet and won't be hit with what you spray because it doesn't all come up in one shot.

Also from reading this site Tenacity works better when conditions are warm and dry. We have't had that yet this spring. Since you only get to use so much a year its hard to know when is the best time to start putting it down. My plan this year was to let all the lawn wake up and use Tenacity after memorial day when every thing is well woken up and actively growing.

I have always tried to rush it and put it down early, and it may get damaged, but a lot of it ends up coming back. This year Im trying something different

s1mpl3k1d
Grass Type: KGB Emblem, Midnight II entire lawn
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by s1mpl3k1d » April 18th, 2020, 5:02 pm

I didn't know they have expiration. I finished my Tenacity last year which I bought in 2010 or 2011. It still worked. I bought a new one today.

spectrum1c
Grass Type: KBG front yard, Tall Fescue backyard
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by spectrum1c » April 21st, 2020, 9:35 pm

s1mpl3k1d wrote:
April 18th, 2020, 5:02 pm
I didn't know they have expiration. I finished my Tenacity last year which I bought in 2010 or 2011. It still worked. I bought a new one today.

Where did you store it? I currently store my bottle in the garage but this thread has me reconsidering. I may move it to basement where the temperature is more consistent.

s1mpl3k1d

Post by s1mpl3k1d » April 24th, 2020, 10:38 pm

I had mine always in the garage. There are times my garage would reach temps in the 20Fs. The Tenacity still worked.

Tarank
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by Tarank » May 7th, 2020, 1:32 pm

s1mpl3k1d wrote:
April 24th, 2020, 10:38 pm
I had mine always in the garage. There are times my garage would reach temps in the 20Fs. The Tenacity still worked.
Chemicals degrade faster at high temperature than low. That's why highly reactive ones are stored in a fridge / freezer. That said I don't know anything about the stability of their formulation.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 7th, 2020, 3:54 pm

I just used a 4 year old bottle a month ago, worked fine.

s1mpl3k1d

Post by s1mpl3k1d » July 25th, 2020, 4:41 pm

Thank you all. I got mine more than a month ago but I forgot to update this thread I started. I noticed the chemical color is lighter than what the first one I owned. Or maybe, the first one just turned darker. It worked.

I'm losing though on clover. They don't die at all. How do we kill clover?

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Post by ken-n-nancy » July 25th, 2020, 7:05 pm

s1mpl3k1d wrote:
July 25th, 2020, 4:41 pm
I'm losing though on clover. They don't die at all. How do we kill clover?
The standard recommendation for clover elimination is triclopyr in Ortho's Chickweed, Clover, and Oxalis killer for lawns (https://www.ortho.com/en-us/products/we ... oncentrate), which is comparatively gentle on the grass.

However, triclopyr is slow-acting on the clover, so applying it early enough to be able to be patient to see results helps a lot. Usually two treatments are necessary about 10 days apart, and the clover will be pretty much gone about 14 days after the second treatment. The clover may not even look very injured 10 days after the first treatment, when the 2nd treatment is applied. However, don't let that discourage you, and stay the course...

s1mpl3k1d

Post by s1mpl3k1d » July 26th, 2020, 12:03 am

Cool! I'll buy it tomorrow. Thanks a lot for the instructions too!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)

Post by andy10917 » July 26th, 2020, 7:16 am

A couple of critical notes about using a Triclopyr application at this time of year:

(1) Don't apply Triclopyr when the temperatures are expected to be over 90 degrees.

(2) The label states that Triclopyr is to be used when weeds are actively growing - late July and early August are the lowest growth period of the growing season. The best period for killing weeds is actually around the beginning of September.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG

Post by MorpheusPA » July 26th, 2020, 10:36 am

Selfsame answer. I'm still working on my first bottle, vintage 2011 or so--ish. It still works like the day I bought it, and my storage is awful. In the garage, which oscillates between below freezing and above ninety.
So far, I'm finding most of the standard herbicides, most of which I keep around for ages since I don't get a lot of weeds, last for ages.

KBGkicksazz
Grass Type: KBG

Post by KBGkicksazz » July 27th, 2020, 7:11 am

MorpheusPA wrote:
July 26th, 2020, 10:36 am
Selfsame answer. I'm still working on my first bottle, vintage 2011 or so--ish. It still works like the day I bought it, and my storage is awful. In the garage, which oscillates between below freezing and above ninety.
So far, I'm finding most of the standard herbicides, most of which I keep around for ages since I don't get a lot of weeds, last for ages.
Agree. The only one that I’ve ever had go funky was some bonide MSMA. Got stored from 2009 including an uncontrolled storage unit etc. Got Super funky almost like syrup consistency and had what looked like mold type things growing in it when I opened it. The two bottles had never been opened.