Poa Triv same color as bluegrass

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
pristinegreen75
Grass Type: Bluegrass in back, Northern mix in front
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Poa Triv same color as bluegrass

Post by pristinegreen75 » April 28th, 2020, 10:59 am

Had bluegrass sod put in last June. Got some Annua and Triv from sod cutter. Annua I can deal with easily but the Triv I am going to get on it right away with RU. Positive ID on the Tri. Ripped some up and had stolons with buds and came up early with light green color long before the bluegrass and much higher. Went out this morning to mix up RU and noticed couple spots of the Triv turned the exact same color as surrounding bluegrass. I mean EXACT same color. Other patches of it are lighter green still. What the heck!! Can this happen? I double checked by lifting some of it and it is most definitely Triv. (stolons where there). Should I still wipe it out? My understanding is it will choke out any other grass but damn it blends right in! (wife is a little pissed that I want to kill sections of the sod already. She doesn't understand after spending all that $$$).LOL. How can Triv have same dark color as the bluegrass? I'm kind of confused.

Pway
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: Poa Triv same color as bluegrass

Post by Pway » April 28th, 2020, 5:29 pm

Get rid of it if you can. It’ll turn lighter and then go dormant brownish in the heat. It’ll also grow faster so it won’t blend in. Also will have a different texture.

pristinegreen75
Grass Type: Bluegrass in back, Northern mix in front
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Re: Poa Triv same color as bluegrass

Post by pristinegreen75 » April 28th, 2020, 6:08 pm

Thanks Pway, Will do. Still don't understand why it blended right in with bluegrass color but..... your right texture isn't even close. It's outa here!!