Shade seed with Poa

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Dan065
Grass Type: 60% KBG, 20% Rye and 20% Fescue
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Shade seed with Poa

Post by Dan065 » May 3rd, 2020, 5:59 pm

I was just looking at Preferred Seed's shade tolerant mixes and noticed one with 10% Improved Poa Trivialis. I thought this was an undesirable weed? :confused:

Coop_V
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: Shade seed with Poa

Post by Coop_V » May 3rd, 2020, 6:43 pm

Incredibly undesirable lol can't imagine why you would want it.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » May 3rd, 2020, 6:45 pm

The dictionary defines a weed as "a plant that is not valued where it is growing and is usually of vigorous growth".

So, in a dark-green KBG lawn, Poa Trivialis (with its lighter color and faster growth) is a weed. In a very shady area where no other grasses will grow at all, it may be a very desirable thing to some. It all depends on the situation.

Consider this from animal science scientists:
Crabgrass is a summer annual forage that has the potential to produce a large quantity of high-quality forage during the summer months. It is a highly palatable forage that provides excellent grazing and makes top- quality hay when properly managed.
So, is crabgrass a weed, or a desirable forage for animals?

Years ago, my wife bought a tray of Ajuga as a colorful burgundy edging plant. It crept into the lawn and I had a hell of a time killing it in the lawn - so, weed or edging plant.

My wife also has a weed definition that I like - she says that the difference between "weed" and "perennial" is $8.95.

Enough on that definition-stuff. Practically, a few members tried Poa Trivialis lawns in shady areas. To the best of my knowledge, no member went beyond a season owning it.

It's also something to consider that an "improved variety" may be significantly different than its wild parent.

I myself will not be testing any Triv varieties anytime soon.

Dan065
Grass Type: 60% KBG, 20% Rye and 20% Fescue
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by Dan065 » May 3rd, 2020, 7:47 pm

andy10917 wrote:
May 3rd, 2020, 6:45 pm
Practically, a few members tried Poa Trivialis lawns in shady areas. To the best of my knowledge, no member went beyond a season owning it.

It's also something to consider that an "improved variety" may be significantly different than its wild parent.

I myself will not be testing any Triv varieties anytime soon.
The Poa Trivialis that I am battling are only in my shady areas also, so i know it does very well in the shade. I will not be testing that seed blend in my lawn anytime soon myself though.