Reno - Seed Superstore Recommendation

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Cook
Grass Type: Not sure
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Reno - Seed Superstore Recommendation

Post by Cook » May 8th, 2020, 4:26 pm

This is my first post on this forum, so thanks for having me! I am currently looking to kill off my existing small side lawn and use it as a test plot before I do the same for my front lawn this fall. I am currently debating between several of seed superstores' mixes.

For background, I live between Boston and Plymouth, MA. I have irrigation and hardly any real shaded areas. I'm debating between:

- SS1100 Bluegrass mix (bluebank, bewitched, blue note)
- SS1000 Tall Fescue blend (Avenger II, 4th millennium, raptor 3, Amity)
- SS5000 Sunny Mix (Mazama/midnight/bluebank KBG, radar chewing fescue, grand slam ryegrass)

I like KBG given its properties to "heal" itself and thicken back up if damaged. I have a tractor which I use around the house for various projects, but mainly snow removal. I also have an ATV which gets used largely in the fall around the yard. I also own a zero turn which if you make the mistake turning once, you can tear up the grass a little. I obviously try to avoid damaging at all costs but it does happen time to time. My other thought is the SS5000 mix but I honestly have never heard of chewing fescue. Perhaps I should get SS1000 tall fescue and the SS1100 and make my own blend with those two?

Any suggestions/pictures would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to order the seed this weekend.

As an aside, when I go to seed, my plan is to level off the area with some new loam. I had to dig up the yard last year to fix my french drain which collapsed so I have some ruts/bumps I need to level out. After leveling, I plan to hit the soil with some humic, starter fert, and tenacity, following up in 30 days with more tenacity and fert. Does it make sense to apply slow release organic fert after the 30 days as well?

Thanks in advance!

CPascal
Grass Type: Back: 65% KBG (Bedazzled, NuDestiny, Rhapsody),20% PRG, 15% Firefly Hard Fescue. Front: Double Eagle Perennial Rye Shaded areas: Mix of fine fescues and Bewitched KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Re: Reno - Seed Superstore Recommendation

Post by CPascal » May 8th, 2020, 7:33 pm

I would go with a mix that includes bluegrass. The spreading ability of bluegrass is huge when it comes to repairing damaged areas.

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by northeastlawn » May 8th, 2020, 9:19 pm

Many posts on this site recommend and blend with PR and KBG, have no more than 10% PR, because PR tends prevent other grass types from seeding near it. A quick internet search will get you info on how that works.

From the experience with my KBG lawn, KBG takes a while to really spread, and if you have any POA Annua or POA Triv issues, those grassy weeds can fill in the bare spots much faster than KBG spreads.

This year my KBG seems to finally be spreading well (going on 3rd summer), but its a long process. I have always had doubts how much you can count on KBG in a blend to really self repair. My uncle used the SSS Sunny Mix; and while I don't always have the best eyes for IDing grass types, I didnt see a lot of KBG seed heads late May and June. It seemed like most of what came up was PR.

I dont know much about Tall Fescue, but it looks interesting.

KBG from seed is a labor of love, or an act of lunacy. Some people make it look easy, some people have nothing but issues because POA Annua and POA Triv can easily out pace KBG.

If you go KBG, make sure to kill all the POA Annua and POA Triv you have in lawn in the spring. If it goes dormant during the summer, spraying it with glysophate before your reno will not kill it and it will have a head start on the KBG in the lawn.

Cook
Grass Type: Not sure

Post by Cook » May 8th, 2020, 10:11 pm

Thanks!

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by bpgreen » May 9th, 2020, 12:41 am

I've got a non elite lawn (I'm going for a lawn that requires minimal water in desert conditions) and I've never done a renovation.

But I've been participating in lawn forums for a long time.

I think you'll be much happier with an all kbg blend than with a mix of kbg and other greases. If you have areas with heavy shade, you may want to get some fine fescue seed for the heavily shaded areas. In general, kbg doesn't like shade (I'm at a higher elevation, and it does well in shade here). If you go that route, you'll probably want to gradually change from kbg to fine fescue.

Also, SSS tends to be a bit pricey. There are much less expensive suppliers out there but it has been a long time since I've priced seed, so I'm not much help there.

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)

Post by bernstem » May 13th, 2020, 4:32 pm

The ss1100 blend has very good cultivars in it. I would go with that of what you listed. I have seen some pictures of beautiful Ryegrass lawns so a Perennial Rye blend should be on your list. If you have a lot of shade, then Bluegrass may not be great. I would try Tall Fescue before Fine Fescue with shade. I don't think fine fescue blends well with bluegrass, and tall fescue can be moderately shade tolerant.

Pway
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by Pway » May 13th, 2020, 5:07 pm

bernstem wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 4:32 pm
The ss1100 blend has very good cultivars in it. I would go with that of what you listed. I have seen some pictures of beautiful Ryegrass lawns so a Perennial Rye blend should be on your list. If you have a lot of shade, then Bluegrass may not be great. I would try Tall Fescue before Fine Fescue with shade. I don't think fine fescue blends well with bluegrass, and tall fescue can be moderately shade tolerant.
It’s just a Personal preference but I agree with Bernstein. Fine fescue to me doesn’t blend with anything as the texture is so different from KBG or TTTF or PR. My lawn was initially established as a Northern Mix decades ago and I’m trying to move toward KBG but it’s not an easy process. I personally wouldn’t introduce a fine fescue into my yard but it does do well in shade. Good luck with whatever your choice!