Poa Triv Explosion...Comfort me

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Poa Triv Explosion...Comfort me

Post by turf_toes » May 17th, 2021, 7:42 pm

PALawnGuy5 wrote:
May 17th, 2021, 7:05 pm
andy10917 wrote:
May 17th, 2021, 8:14 am
It's important to note in these situations what it is that you bought from SSS. You bought "certified" (blue label) seed, which is a certification that the bag contains grass seed that was properly grown to make sure that it is really the cultivars that are specified on the label. It is NOT the equivalent of "sod quality" (gold label) seed that goes through much more rigorous (and expensive) testing to make sure that there is a very, very low level of "other crop" items like Poa Trivialis seed. It is often hard to find and more expensive, due to looking at each seed in a sample to ascertain that it isn't Triv.

SSS mixed your blend from the supplied bags that the grower and distributor sent to them - they provided the blue-label ("certified") tag for that lot. They have no more idea than you about Triv content. This is why we always are recommending that you spend the extra effort and money to get the best seed ("sod quality"/"gold label"). It's a hard-learned lesson to find out WHY it is worth the extra effort and cost - don't ask me how I learned it.

I know you guys are looking for comfort, which I can't supply - I'm trying to make sure that the experience (frustrating as it is) is learned and the pain doesn't get repeated.
I reached out to SSS after buying my seed there last year and having an overwhelming amount of Triv this year, asked them who does their tests and what protocols they use.

The sent me the test report from New York State Seed Testing Lab in Albany, NY but couldn't comment on testing protocols. I would have to reach out to them for more detail.

I have held off nuking my yard because i really didn't want to look at large brown patches all year but i saw a house down the street did. I'm going to play the Tenacity game a bit and grow some TTTF trays to dig a few patches out and replace, see if i can do this in pieces without a full reno. If it fails, i'm going with a full reno including re-grading and additional soil to fill in some low spots. I have terribly dense clay with poor drainage. It's Triv paradise.
As Andy noted, if someone buys “certified seed,” the only guarantee is the cultivar named in the bag is what you purchased.

There is no guarantee that weed seed or other crop content is not in the bag.

Certified seed is not the same as sod quality seed. Frankly, I’d be surprised if a bag of “certified seed didn’t have triv or other noxious content.

There’s a reason sod quality seed costs more than certified seed.

gordon
Grass Type: KBG Sideyard fall 2009:Midnight, Moonlight, Bedazzled Front and Backyard Fall 2015: Midnight, Bedazzled, Blueberry
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by gordon » May 17th, 2021, 9:26 pm

It's been a number of years since I bought my seed...Where do Andy and Morph like these days for sod quality gold labelled KBG seed?

In the past I have used the following:

Midnight, Moonlight SLT and Bedazzled (Side)

Midnight, Bluberry, Bedazzled (Front and Rear)

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » May 17th, 2021, 10:33 pm

I do not know who is supplying gold-label seed this year, but I know two things - 1) I would be looking for it NOW if I were expecting to be seeding this August 15th, and 2) I wouldn't touch anything that isn't gold-label ("sod quality").

My favorite cultivar right now is "Bewitched".

GMil814
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass

Post by GMil814 » May 17th, 2021, 10:59 pm

This is why I am so upset. I thought I was doing the right thing(other than just blasting 3-4 lbs. Of seed over a KBG lawn mowed at 3.75"). I can't believe they would just be slapping labels on stuff. I have no issues what so ever paying top dollar for top quality. That's my motto. I like nice stuff. Although I am so confused because it is so possible that I just irrigated this nastiness into existence. Just call me father triv. I guess :sorry:

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » May 17th, 2021, 11:10 pm

I also haven't researched the issue in years, so I'm clueless. And I also used sod quality when I went and was very pleased with my (extremely weedy, but no major problems) results.

I can't say I have a favorite cultivar, but I still remain a fan of the Midnight II in my lawn. So the more-modern cultivars in that family would all be in the running. I favor the deepest colors over almost every other characteristic.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Post by turf_toes » May 18th, 2021, 11:11 am

GMil814 wrote:
May 17th, 2021, 10:59 pm

This is why I am so upset. I thought I was doing the right thing(other than just blasting 3-4 lbs. Of seed over a KBG lawn mowed at 3.75"). I can't believe they would just be slapping labels on stuff. I have no issues what so ever paying top dollar for top quality. That's my motto. I like nice stuff. Although I am so confused because it is so possible that I just irrigated this nastiness into existence. Just call me father triv. I guess :sorry:
Correlation isn’t the same thing as causation. I’m not a fan of SSS, mostly because I think it tends to be overpriced. But seed superstore relies on state testers. It is a retailer, not a producer or tester of the seed they sell. (Just like Macy’s doesn’t manufacture the clothing it sells)

Triv can be introduced in all kind of ways. It doesn’t mean that it was the seed that introduced the problem.

If it were me, I wouldn’t be blaming the seed or the vendor. The evidence you’re showing for that is pretty thin.

Pway
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by Pway » May 18th, 2021, 4:53 pm

turf_toes wrote:
May 18th, 2021, 11:11 am
GMil814 wrote:
May 17th, 2021, 10:59 pm

Correlation isn’t the same thing as causation. I’m not a fan of SSS, mostly because I think it tends to be overpriced. But seed superstore relies on state testers. It is a retailer, not a producer or tester of the seed they sell. (Just like Macy’s doesn’t manufacture the clothing it sells)

Triv can be introduced in all kind of ways. It doesn’t mean that it was the seed that introduced the problem.

If it were me, I wouldn’t be blaming the seed or the vendor. The evidence you’re showing for that is pretty thin.
I have to agree with TT. As I mentioned before, the golf course I belong to is world class and the super agreed with me that triv is popping up all over this year, and in many cases not from contaminated seed. Same thing with the park up the street, which hasn’t been seeded in many years. Same with my lawn, unfortunately...

PALawnGuy5
Grass Type: Fescue, KBG

Post by PALawnGuy5 » May 18th, 2021, 5:11 pm

Anyone had issues with squirrels spreading Triv?

I had a serious problem with squirrels digging hold last year, particularly in the fall. I'm talking 70-80 holes in my 1/5 acre plot over a 2-3 month period. I initiated the Squirrel Relocation Program but the damage was done. During that same time I over-seeded, threw down peat moss and watered. So now it has me thinking all the disruption to the soil plus optimal conditions of me throwing down the moss/water made it Triv heaven.

Pway
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by Pway » May 18th, 2021, 5:58 pm

PALawnGuy5 wrote:
May 18th, 2021, 5:11 pm

I had a serious problem with squirrels digging hold last year, particularly in the fall. I'm talking 70-80 holes in my 1/5 acre plot over a 2-3 month period. I initiated the Squirrel Relocation Program but the damage was done. During that same time I over-seeded, threw down peat moss and watered. So now it has me thinking all the disruption to the soil plus optimal conditions of me throwing down the moss/water made it Triv heaven.
Don’t think I’ve had it from squirrels but I have from deer. The graze on the triv,crap,it out, and instant triv patch with fertilizer.

PALawnGuy5

Post by PALawnGuy5 » May 18th, 2021, 6:29 pm

Pway wrote:
May 18th, 2021, 5:58 pm
PALawnGuy5 wrote:
May 18th, 2021, 5:11 pm

Don’t think I’ve had it from squirrels but I have from deer. The graze on the triv,crap,it out, and instant triv patch with fertilizer.
I have rabbits too but i've seen them eat the young fescue more than the triv. Had to fence a small section by the patio that was dug out/replanted because they wouldn't let it grow, kept chewing it down to stubs.

dantis496
Grass Type: Front: Northern Mix Back: Elite KBG Blend

Post by dantis496 » May 4th, 2022, 12:16 pm

Hi PALawnGuy. I am the OP and revisiting after my discouraging outcome. I had not seen you pst until today. I too, purchased the same seed from the same vendor with, what sounds like, same results. I swear mine was sod quality, but I do not have any more to verify. Its been some time and I am going to do the Tenacity battle this year and overseed in the fall. How were your results in 2021?

PALawnGuy5

Post by PALawnGuy5 » May 20th, 2022, 7:28 pm

dantis496 wrote:
May 4th, 2022, 12:16 pm
Hi PALawnGuy. I am the OP and revisiting after my discouraging outcome. I had not seen you pst until today. I too, purchased the same seed from the same vendor with, what sounds like, same results. I swear mine was sod quality, but I do not have any more to verify. Its been some time and I am going to do the Tenacity battle this year and overseed in the fall. How were your results in 2021?
Not good. I simply angered and encouraged the triv with the raking, over-seeding and peat moss.

I had significant dead loss of areas due to snow mold. I had triv explode in other areas that felt my wrath.....glyphosate apps followed by digging them out. I'll have to take a picture of my front yard to show the chaos. I contemplated a full reno but did not have the time this year due to work conflicts. I may consider it next year but before i do, i have to decide if i'm keeping the TTTF or switching to a more KBG-based yard. I bought some 365ss to play around with (Penn State grad obviously - found out this is what's used in Beaver Stadium). Also got a small bag of Bewitched and some elite TTTF cultivars in preparation. I've never had a KBG lawn and do not have irrigation. My yard has a terrible drainage issue with hard clay and no topsoil bc the builder was cheap.