Fungus? Does it require treatment?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
LeftField11
Grass Type: KBG - Bewitched, Blueberry, Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Fungus? Does it require treatment?

Post by LeftField11 » May 14th, 2020, 12:02 pm

I just noticed some browning blades in my otherwise healthy KBG yesterday. The brown blades are pretty sparse right now, and spread fairly evenly throughout the lawn. Someone who doesn't look at the grass as often or as closely as I do probably wouldn't even notice it. I'm pretty certain I've had issues with fungus in the past, but I've never treated for it, not wanting to damage the good fungi, and opting to wait it out. I've regretted that decision almost every time.

So now my first question: is this a fungal disease? I know it's impossible to diagnosis from pics alone, so I'm looking for educated guesses. The timing would seem to suggest Red Thread (?) from what I'm seeing with Google, but it isn't patchy at all.

Second question: Should I treat it? I can get Scotts DiseaseEx (azoxystrobin) today. But whatever this is, it isn't too prolific in the lawn (yet?). Two days ago I was really happy with how the grass was looking, and I really want to keep it healthy this year.

Thanks for your input.

rxrep
Grass Type: Midnight KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Re: Fungus? Does it require treatment?

Post by rxrep » May 14th, 2020, 9:09 pm

That's definitely a fungus disease but it doesn't look like red thread. As far as should you treat it, if it was my lawn I would. If you don't it will definitely get worse and spread. In addition the the infected grass will probably die and your lawn will thin out. The azoxy is a good choice in that it is broad spectrum but it's best to try and identify the fungus to make sure you use the best fungicide. Also when you use a fungicide, keep in mind there are usually 2 different application rates. A lower rate that's preventative and a higher concentration for curative purposes. Obviously for you this will be a curative application. Here's a link to article on fungus diseases and appropriate fungicides. Good luck.
http://www2.ca.uky.edu/agcomm/pubs/ppa/ppa1/ppa1.pdf

rxrep
Grass Type: Midnight KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Post by rxrep » May 15th, 2020, 8:15 am

Here's another resource. It's a PDF with images of fungal diseases. Each image includes a description and "Labeled" or suggested appropriate fungicides to treat it.
https://www.syngentacropprotection.com/ ... _guide.pdf

LeftField11

Post by LeftField11 » May 15th, 2020, 8:47 am

rxrep wrote:
May 15th, 2020, 8:15 am
Here's another resource. It's a PDF with images of fungal diseases. Each image includes a description and "Labeled" or suggested appropriate fungicides to treat it.
https://www.syngentacropprotection.com/ ... _guide.pdf
Thanks rxrep, that's a good resource. After some more Googling and YouTubing, I'm guessing it's leaf spot / melting out. The Syngenta PDF info on leaf spot / melting out aligns with what I'm seeing too. Going to grab propiconazole (Bayer Advanced) from Lowes today and hit it. Fingers crossed.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 17th, 2020, 9:30 am

Now is a good time to hit with fungicide anyways.

ETA: Every spring i get hit with that and apply Propacanazole. Works well for my situation.

I'll do two apps, one spring and fall.

LeftField11

Post by LeftField11 » May 17th, 2020, 9:57 am

HoosierLawnGnome wrote:
May 17th, 2020, 9:30 am
Now is a good time to hit with fungicide anyways.

ETA: Every spring i get hit with that and apply Propacanazole. Works well for my situation.

I'll do two apps, one spring and fall.
Thanks HLG. I actually settled on Propiconazole based on your comments in another fungus thread I found through a search. I hit it two days ago. We're forecasted to get another 2-3" of rain this week, so that probably won't help things. But I'm hoping for the best.

I also ordered 2.5 gallons of Serenade. I don't know if it's a solid plan, but my thought is to use Serenade as a preventative biofungicide for the rest of the spring/summer after the Propiconazole knocks this bout of fungus down.

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by bernstem » May 17th, 2020, 6:07 pm

This spring has been terrible for fungal disease around me also. Cool, lots of rain, and not enough time for the ground to dry out. It should break here this week, hopefully the lawn will recover enough to hit summer strong. Getting through summer looking good is the real challenge.

mvftw
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by mvftw » May 20th, 2020, 2:39 pm

I picked up a bag of: Prophesy fungicide (0.72% propiconazole). Wasn't cheap. Is this good?
And should I put down a preventive mix now?