Short grass going to seed...

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
KnickLeDime
Grass Type: 1/3 Kentucky Blue, 1/3 Fescue and 1/3 Perennial Rye
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Novice

Short grass going to seed...

Post by KnickLeDime » May 24th, 2020, 4:55 pm

I'm not sure I've ever noticed it as much as this year but my lawn is cut at John deer setting 3 and noticing a lot of grass going to seed even though it's short. It's happening a lot all over the lawn in large pockets.

What does this say about the lawn and can this seed actually produce new grass? Is this normal?

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Short grass going to seed...

Post by andy10917 » May 24th, 2020, 6:26 pm

Some cultivars seed heavily and others not so much. Cultivars that don't produce much seed tend to get discontinued, since seed producers can't make money. To you as the homeowner, it doesn't mean much,

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Re: Short grass going to seed...

Post by northeastlawn » May 24th, 2020, 8:51 pm

My lawn is also going seed crazy this year.

My lawn is Midnight, Blueberry, Bewitched, and prosperity. This will be it's third summer, and I never remember seeing so many seed heads and it being so stalky. Instead of cutting it lower and lower to try and get rid of the seed heads and encourage spreading, I'm just going to let it do it's thing.

Its still May, I cut at 2 1/2" and will make sure I water it and drop plenty of BSF, because I have read it's using a lot of resources to go to seed.

Its also been spreading like crazy this yea anywayr; I see little rhizomes coming up everywhere, which is because I didn't use any Tenacity for the POA Annua this spring, or because it's a more mature lawn. I'm not sure.

I'll just keep feeding it, when its done seeding and wants to start sending out new shoots Ill make sure it has what it needs to do it. I gradually try to get to 3 1/2" for mid June, but figure I still have time.