Another spot seeding question.

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Pway
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Another spot seeding question.

Post by Pway » May 28th, 2020, 5:22 pm

I didn’t want to hijack southern’s thread but I have some similar questions. I had some triv spots on which I’ve used roundup, let fallow, used roundup again, let fallow. I was debating on waiting to reseed until August or get some sod and replace it now. In either case I’d dig up the dead triv and several inches of soil around the spots. I don’t have enough plugs elsewhere in the yard to do that and just started some pots that won’t be ready for a couple months. A third option I’m thinking about reseeding now with some bewitched I have.Its only in aggregate maybe 100 sq ft and is scattered in about 7 or 8 patches but all in one area. I’m home so it would be easy to keep it watered. I know it’s not an ideal time but I’m wondering since it’s a small and seemingly manageable area it’s worth a shot. Thoughts? Thanks.

Masbustelo
Grass Type: Mazama KBG

Re: Another spot seeding question.

Post by Masbustelo » May 28th, 2020, 9:11 pm

It seems like the easy way to go would be with the sod.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by turf_toes » May 28th, 2020, 9:21 pm

Sod probably won’t match existing color and texture . If texture and color matching isn’t important then that might be a solution. But if it matters, it isn’t something I would do.

Rather than sod, maybe take edging material from around your mulch beds.

Pway

Post by Pway » May 29th, 2020, 8:43 am

Masbustelo wrote:
May 28th, 2020, 9:11 pm
It seems like the easy way to go would be with the sod.
Definitely the easiest way, Masbustello. There are the issues Turftoes direst, though.

Pway

Post by Pway » May 29th, 2020, 8:55 am

turf_toes wrote:
May 28th, 2020, 9:21 pm
Sod probably won’t match existing color and texture . If texture and color matching isn’t important then that might be a solution. But if it matters, it isn’t something I would do.

Rather than sod, maybe take edging material from around your mulch beds.
TT: yes I acknowledge the problems of sod related to consistency. My lawn was established in the late ‘50s as a northern mix. Over the last dozen years or so I’ve attempted to overseed with bewitched and Skye. As has been stated here many times, it is difficult to overseed and transition a lawn. I have had some relative success in some areas but less so in others. I can drop a pot of bewitched in some areas and it’s blends in very well; other areas not so much.

I guess when it comes down to it I’ve resigned myself to some level of inconsistency in color, texture, growth patterns, etc. at least for the time being. If I were to start all over I’d either go with a KBG monostand or a blend of KBG cultivars. But the thought of a full renovation on an acre is daunting for me. Probably more in my mind than anything else.

I do have some beds as well as an area back by the shed that would match up better than the sod I can get. Maybe I’ll go that route and supplement it as/if needed with bewitched and Skye seed I have.

This is the first time I’ve used roundup and had to resort to it given the triv patches.