Irisbergamot
Grass Type: KBG, TTF
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Tenacity for everything?

Post by Irisbergamot » June 3rd, 2020, 12:30 pm

After 3 seasons with your help, it's looking really good! :yahoo:
A huge thank you :good:

Moving forward with herbicides.... Wondering if any of you guys have had success with mainly using Tenacity along with pre-emergents (at their required times)?

Use what works. I get it. But looking ahead.... with a mix lawn in the suburbs in Canada.... weeds just don't seem like a big deal anymore.
Or maybe someone has a certain cocktail that covers 90% of their bases?

thanks again guys!

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Level: Experienced

Re: Tenacity for everything?

Post by northeastlawn » June 3rd, 2020, 1:36 pm

I had some POA Annua on my near perfect front lawn Fine Fescue. I applied at the 4oz/ac rate to a small area; the POA Annua lit up, I waited about 10 days and then spot sprayed 2 oz/ac again. I toasted my FF its looking really bad, Im sure it will come back, if not I still have trill the edges so can use some end pieces as sod, but I can't imagine using tenacity as a default weed control.

I have had excellent luck with the pyramid method on this website. You do a 3-way first, wait a week or two to see whats still growing, then move on to a Triclopyr, wait another 14 days, then use Triclopyr again. I would say all the easy stuff should be toast. Whats left is probably grassy weeds that are much harder to kill. For the lazy, you can just buy the weed-b-gone products, for the more ambitious by the cheaper generic versions.

I found that if you start around April 1st or 10th, you end the routine right around mid June when you still have time to take on the grassy weeds. By then you also learned a lot about mixing and spraying weeds with herbicides that are a lot more forgiving than tenacity.

You might call me a wuss, but I use Tenacity mostly for seed down pre-m and dealing with POA-Annua in something like KBG which is very tolerant. After this last experiment on FF, Im not crazy about using Tenacity on FF at any time.

BIGDADDY13
Grass Type: KBG and Fescue
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by BIGDADDY13 » June 3rd, 2020, 1:45 pm

I am with you. I get real nervous on the tenacity. I am learning to live through poa outbreaks by handling it as a pre-emergent. seems to keep outbreaks in check. Any outbreaks that happen tend to be isolated and "tolerable" I have a few "hot spots" near pasture land that need constant attention.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » June 3rd, 2020, 1:47 pm

So far, my approach has been environmental controls (Kentucky bluegrass, feed the crap out...er, into it, and watch it strangle most weeds for additional nitrogen), and...
Well, yes, Tenacity for 99% of remaining problems. The few I get, including a dandelion or two, Go Away when touched by Tenacity. That strand or two of P. annua, gone.
Globe thistle problem in the gardens, gone. Seriously, that stuff laughed at RoundUp (I think it was the waxy cuticle). Most of the nutsedge issue in the garden, see ya.
And all for the cost of a tiny bit of bleaching on the bluegrasses or a bit of discoloration on a plant in the flower garden if I accidentally overlap a tad.

Even after all these years, I still have a quarter of the little bottle left, too.

Paul
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG Monostand

Post by Paul » June 3rd, 2020, 1:58 pm

For Herbicides, I only use Tenacity in the spring for Poa Annua and any other grassy weeds that might be in the lawn. I typically do 3 applications 1 week apart at the 3.6 ounce/acre rate. I just finished my last app last Sunday. If I see any weeds in the lawn during the summer, I just pull them out. I have very little weed pressure in my lawn. I also do 3 pre emergent applications per year, April, July, and September. This year I might do another Tenacity app in October if I see any Poa Annua coming back. I still have 5.2 ounces/acre to use before I hit my 16 ounce limit.

spectrum1c
Grass Type: KBG front yard, Tall Fescue backyard

Post by spectrum1c » June 4th, 2020, 7:48 am

Anyone know how soon after overseeing you can use the pyramid approach?
I overseeded while filling in low spots with dirt from a small hill in my yard. I wrongly assumed the dirt was essentially sterile since not much seemed to be growing on it. For the first time I now have weeds throughout my yard that I've never had to deal with before (the only obvious weed problem I had in the past was crabgrass).

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)

Post by andy10917 » June 4th, 2020, 8:26 am

OK, first of all it's the "Triangle Approach" and not the Pyramid.

The question is not answerable with the information provided. It depends on the herbicides used to perform the Triangle Approach. What herbicides were used?

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)

Post by andy10917 » June 4th, 2020, 9:29 am

Back to the "main topic" of using Tenacity for all weeds...

I don't get the concept. While Tenacity is a great tool to have in the arsenal, it's reasonably crappy at controlling Clover, Violets and several other very common weeds that are dirt-simple to blast away with more pedestrian herbicides, and I'm always fighting weeds trying to establish themselves in the lawn from the surrounding wooded areas. I use one application a year as my "diagnostic dose" to light up the problems that may be hidden, but I save the rest of the Tenacity apps for wars against things that won't knuckle under to simpler herbicides.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by TimmyG » June 4th, 2020, 9:32 am

^+1. Zackly.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » June 4th, 2020, 12:13 pm

Well, simple in my case. The lawn's gangster class identifies and hunts down Violet, isolating her in the dark alleys and gunning her down. You can hear the gunshots by moonlight. And sometimes by midnight. Occasionally by Bedazzled.
But seriously. I don't get clover or violets, for all they infest the neighboring lawns. The rare dandelion in one or two spots in the front is about it. One or two threads of P. annua, and maybe a sprout of P. trivialis.

In the gardens, the weeds are a bit more extensive early in the season, but tend to be mechanically controlled. If not, I'll simply use RoundUp. For the few that won't respond to that--like the globe thistles once they mature a little--a nice shot of Tenacity takes those out.

So, triangle, pyramid...really, my weed pressure is very high, but cultural adaption has reduced those to nearly nil in this lawn, so my resulting approach only needs two or three minor points, and not all that often. It's unlikely I'll need to handle another lawn weed for months.

The gardens will differ, where I'll have weed issues now, but those will decrease as the gardens grow in. Once they cover over better--around July first--weed pressure will decrease sharply. By August, a weed can't compete in there either.

Paul
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG Monostand

Post by Paul » June 4th, 2020, 1:05 pm

I only use Tenacity for grassy weeds, and it does a very nice job in handling them. Again, I have very little weed pressure from clover, dandelions, and other weeds. I have a push mower, so if I see a weed, I stop, pull the weed out and mulch it up on the next pass. I have more weed pressure in the perimeter of my yard which has shrub beds carved out. If they get bad, I use Round up to take them out. While using the Tenacity for the grassy weeds in the spring, all other weeds I may have in the yard get smoked.

I will say that this is my forth year using Tenacity on my Bewitched Mono stand, and the whitening is very little if any on the Bewitched anymore. The first year I used it, it looked like it snowed out. Even if the lawn still turned all white, I would still uses it, no pain, no gain!

gwlbe
Grass Type: Northern Mutt
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by gwlbe » June 4th, 2020, 2:01 pm

I got a nasty outbreak of clover that laughed at my "diagnostic dose" of tenacity. I'm on my third app of
Trimec® Crabgrass Plus Lawn Weed Killer Concentrate which I got at Tractor Supply for 2.99 a quart. I bought them out.

spectrum1c
Grass Type: KBG front yard, Tall Fescue backyard

Post by spectrum1c » June 4th, 2020, 2:41 pm

andy10917 wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 8:26 am
OK, first of all it's the "Triangle Approach" and not the Pyramid.

The question is not answerable with the information provided. It depends on the herbicides used to perform the Triangle Approach. What herbicides were used?
Sorry, I meant Triangle approach. Trimec was the herbicide in question. Researching online, It looks like the new grass has to be "well established", which at least one site says is when the new grass has undergone 2 to 3 mowings. In some areas, my new grass is an inch tall at best so I've still got time to wait

Irisbergamot
Grass Type: KBG, TTF

Post by Irisbergamot » June 5th, 2020, 2:47 pm

it's sad how in Canada we're so limited with supplies.
Triangle approach is what got me to the point I'm at now. Supplies have dwindled, but I still have tons of Tenacity.
Sounds like I'd better stock up on at least some CCO for the clovers.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by bpgreen » June 6th, 2020, 2:10 am

Irisbergamot wrote:
June 5th, 2020, 2:47 pm
Sounds like I'd better stock up on at least some CCO for the clovers.
Or embrace clover as a beneficial plant to have in the lawn. It fixes nitrogen in the soil and gives bees something to eat.

//Ducks and runs

Actually, clover was considered beneficial and desirable in lawns for a long time and only fell out of favor when using broadleaf weed killers on the entire lawn became commonplace. I remember going to the feed store with my dad when he bought grass seed for our new house and he specifically asked to have a certain percentage of clover seed in the mix.

I purposely planted clover in my lawn, but I've got an admittedly nontraditional lawn.

KBGkicksazz
Grass Type: KBG

Post by KBGkicksazz » June 11th, 2020, 1:55 pm

gwlbe wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 2:01 pm
I got a nasty outbreak of clover that laughed at my "diagnostic dose" of tenacity. I'm on my third app of
Trimec® Crabgrass Plus Lawn Weed Killer Concentrate which I got at Tractor Supply for 2.99 a quart. I bought them out.
CCO is very effective at killing clover. Use a surfactant/MSO.

You can use the poison ivy killer which often has a higher percentage of triclopyr than CCO....

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » June 11th, 2020, 2:26 pm

I'm kinda with BPGreen on this one. Embrace the clover and accept the free nitrogen.

Unless you're allergic to bees, of course, or have friends or neighbors who are. Then get rid of it. Or have my lawn, which chokes out anything that makes any attempt to enter the yard. Weeds. Children.

fun4me2
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by fun4me2 » June 11th, 2020, 4:36 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 2:26 pm
I'm kinda with BPGreen on this one. Embrace the clover and accept the free nitrogen.

Unless you're allergic to bees, of course, or have friends or neighbors who are. Then get rid of it. Or have my lawn, which chokes out anything that makes any attempt to enter the yard. Weeds. Children.
MorpheusPA
How about dogs? :no:
Since the pandemic and people being home ....
Dog owners have discovered our neighborhood.
Unfortunately some let their dogs walk right on lawns to relieve themselves.
I actually put string on stakes and hung red ribbon by the curbing, which has kept them off my lawn.
A couple times however I had to tell the occasional walker that I have "chemicals" on the lawn.
That works quite well. :tease:

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » June 11th, 2020, 10:08 pm

fun4me2 wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 4:36 pm
How about dogs? :no:
Since the pandemic and people being home ....
Dog owners have discovered our neighborhood.
I've trained my lawn to be dog-friendly and to also ignore rabbits, squirrels, and most other Pennsylvania wildlife. We have two dogs, plus the back bulldog likes to come over and visit. The neighbors' golden lab on the other side heads over as well to visit ours and me when I'm out gardening (she likes to keep me company as did her predecessor, who would fall asleep in the grass while I worked).

But I have an organic lawn to a rather...well, extreme...so dog leavings don't last long. You can almost see the beetles and worms targeting the stuff as soon as it exits the dog. When mowing, only the last day is visible on the lawn--anything before that? Gone.