Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Wrash
Grass Type: I don’t know
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

New Homeowner - can’t identify or fix for life of me

Post by Wrash » June 4th, 2020, 3:02 am

Hello everybody,

First time poster and thanks in advance for any input you’re willing to share. My wife and I bought our first home two years ago (we live in North Idaho). No prior experience with maintaining a nice lawn but I made it a priority, and Ive been able to significantly improve its aesthetic over the last two summers, which I’m proud of. That said, it’s seemingly hitting a plateau and despite all efforts, I cannot diagnose or combat the following issues (illustrated in the below pictures):

1. I have this fuzzy (maybe a poor way to describe? Furry? Bristle-y?) weed that I’ve noticed since moving in, and it’s spread, albeit not much, to a few different parts of my lawn. I can’t kill it with anything I use, but perhaps I am using the wrong products or not enough? Generally, I try to switch things up, for example I have used ortho weed b gone, roundup, and a granular weed preventative in the past with now such luck at stopping the infestation. Any thoughts/advice/suggestions appreciated.

2. This dry and weedy patch of my lawn drives me NUTS. It started as grass when we moved in and progressively became more tough, bare, and weedy despite my efforts to overseed, fertilize, thatch mowed clippings, etc. incredibly frustrating. I probably water this region of the lawn most due to its direct exposure to sun from basically all angles (our property faces north/south). Clearly I’m missing something and would love to know how I can begin to repair and regrow this with the same consistency as the rest of the lawn.

Thank you for looking. I’m so happy I found this forum. I can’t wait to take my lawn care knowledge to the next level.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Re: New Homeowner - can’t identify or fix for life of me

Post by TimmyG » June 4th, 2020, 9:43 am

1. My first thought was dogfennel, but distribution is the southeast during the summer. Maybe there are other fennels? Do you have any more mature specimens?

ronfitch
Grass Type: original: I don't know; overseed: Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Re: New Homeowner - can’t identify or fix for life of me

Post by ronfitch » June 4th, 2020, 11:16 am

Photo number 2 is definitely a shepard, likely German. For fixing, I'd schedule a visit to a vet.