Concerning?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Concerning?

Post by PSU4ME » June 4th, 2020, 5:45 pm

Another year and another concern about this dying section of my back grass. I’ll attach a picture but here is some background. Two years ago the bright green patch in the pic died off and I had to replant. Now you can see areas around it going dark green and then looking like it’s dying.

Weather hasn’t been crazy hot and I’ve been watering. I put diseaseEX on it a week ago hoping it would help. Nothing and it’s spreading.

Does the image trigger any ideas for anyone? At this point I’m guessing I just water and wait it out. Had a sample sent in two years ago and she suspected brown patch but wasn’t sure (UMass)

Dargin
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Re: Concerning?

Post by Dargin » June 4th, 2020, 9:01 pm

This might not be applicable, but i thought since we're situated so close; The recent temperature spike snuck up on some spots in my usual trouble area: The most compacted area of the lawn (way more foot traffic over years) that also happens to get the most sun. I just noticed the issue yesterday. No pics at the moment.

I've got areas where aggregates are as good as rock at 1". Right next to areas that are smooth sailing down to 5". Of all the areas/spots that fall around that 1" category, the ones that got the most sun are the ones looking hurt today.

Not sure if that helps any. I'm continuing blsc treatments and spot watering. And praying...

PSU4ME

Post by PSU4ME » June 5th, 2020, 7:25 am

Thanks for the thought, it is quite possible that the soil is really hard and not allowing much action. I’m going to go out today and test a few areas with a screwdriver and potentially fill up the backpack with some blsc.

The diseaseEX application didn’t put a dent in it at all so I’m leaning away from disease but what do I know.

Adam_M
Grass Type: Midnight, Bewitched, Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by Adam_M » June 5th, 2020, 8:49 am

I have an almost identical situation - 2 patches that fail every year in August, looking similar to the above, but they also started declining a few weeks ago. I too put down disease Ex, and that seemed to control things for a little while, but as soon as it got hot again, more dead looking grass. Again, similar to you, this is a very compacted area of the yard. I have nothing to offer regarding help, other than commiseration for a very similar problem.

Thankfully, it heals itself every year, but it's just annoying having that spot dead as much as living. Is your experience similar?

BIGDADDY13
Grass Type: KBG and Fescue
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by BIGDADDY13 » June 5th, 2020, 4:01 pm

I run into this over our leach field for our septic system where the topsoil is relatively shallow. Over the years, it has been a battle through June-August to keep it perfect. This year, it seems to be holding on, but I started to creep the height of cut up a few weeks ago, guessing hot weather was coming. We will see if it works this year. Definitely looks like heat stress with that blue/gray edges.

PSU4ME

Post by PSU4ME » June 5th, 2020, 6:41 pm

I went out today and no issues with getting a screwdriver into the ground so at this point I’m assuming it’s just not getting enough water. Mixed up blsc and KH so I’ll put that into my spray rotation.

Dargin
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by Dargin » June 6th, 2020, 12:53 pm

Right on. Let us know how things play out.

I haven't noticed any real thinning/death from drought stress, the grass has bounced back every year. But in addition to the disappointment of seeing a nice spring lawn tank year after year, it's worrisome that these weak spots can be portals for disease...

Every year I think I'm on point with my watering game, until any sustained heat comes. Im thinking this doesn't bode well for July/August unless something changes.

Do you have some kind of irrigation system, or are YOU the irrigation system? I hand water.

Last watering I tried to pay better attention to what the water was actually doing when i irrigate, as opposed to just aiming a hose like normal. It's easier too see in some areas than others, but it seemed clear that in some spots the water just didn't take (light pooling, runoff) nearly as quickly as it did elsewhere. And that's with what I think is a light touch. So if I'm always doing my best to water evenly...heh...there are still areas getting less water (and everything else); especially if I happen to not be watering long enough.

Pretty sure our soils are on opposite ends of the spectrum, but last time I noticed my soil can need a bit of a breaking in period when I start watering; after 15-20 minutes of watering I didn't see the light pooling and/or runoff.

I dont know, maybe that's all minutiae?

Personally, I need to do the old bucket test again to see my GPH. I forgot... Then do the math that tells me I need to water once a week for 600 hours.

PSU4ME

Post by PSU4ME » June 6th, 2020, 3:21 pm

I have full irrigation but I had to make this area cover more after we took down the trees so I’ve got some reason to believe it doesn’t get enough.

Getting dumped on as we speak so hopefully this helps

schreibdave
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by schreibdave » June 6th, 2020, 10:10 pm

I would take a spoil sample of just that area and send it to Logan Labs for analysis. Maybe one of their higher level tests. I wonder if there is something about the soil in that spot that is different from the rest of your yard. Maybe something done by a previous owner? Good luck.

PSU4ME

Post by PSU4ME » June 7th, 2020, 12:24 pm

I sent a sample in a year or two back to umass, nothing alarming about it from what she said.

Last nights rain has helped so maybe it was just low water