Is this bentgrass? Floppy bright green top heavy grass?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
rochford77
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Novice

Is this bentgrass? Floppy bright green top heavy grass?

Post by rochford77 » June 11th, 2020, 10:21 am

Hello,

Bought my house last Aug. First home. Didn't even look at the yard last year, too much to do inside. Really starting to get into the lawn, and have it looking really good. Mowing at 3" and rotating between apps of milo and Pennington 30-0-4. I have an irrigation system with a smart controller (rain machine).

So, anyways, I have a pretty decent triv infestation, whatever we all do rihgt? well on the side of my driveway I have about a 2 foot strip where this bright green "spongy" grass is, stems are brown and quite tall, grass is super floppy and swooshy (slmost like tall fine fescue). IN the spring I had lots of snow mold in this grass, on the other side of the drive i have about 10 ft of yard and its petty intermixed over there. Is this bent-grass? If so, I have some tenacity on hand. I was thinking in July I would do a blanket application of tenacity in the front yard and a few parts of the back (though not all of it, I have some fine fescue under a couple of maples I dont care to re-grow) to highlight where the bent is. Then go back a few weeks later with a second app to burn it to the ground. Then The plan would be to order some nice bluegrass from seedsuperstore as well as a little shade mix. My soil is quite compacted so I plan to scalp the lawn, aerate, overseed the sade mix in the back, the bluegrass in the front, and then re-seed the areas wiped out from the bent grass with the bluegrass. Does this sound like a good plan? and can anyone verify this is bent-grass?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRo4Cqx_IhE

Paul
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG Monostand
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Is this bentgrass? Floppy bright green top heavy grass?

Post by Paul » June 11th, 2020, 1:14 pm

It looks like Bent grass to me. I would see if Tenacity takes it out. If your going to kill off these areas, then over seed, I would just go ahead and renovate the front totally with a good seed mix that you will be happy with. Over seeding in my opinion never works out like people think. The grass you have will still dominate.

rochford77
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Novice

Post by rochford77 » June 11th, 2020, 4:42 pm

Paul wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 1:14 pm
It looks like Bent grass to me. I would see if Tenacity takes it out. If your going to kill off these areas, then over seed, I would just go ahead and renovate the front totally with a good seed mix that you will be happy with. Over seeding in my opinion never works out like people think. The grass you have will still dominate.
Hey thanks Paul. The problem with a full renovation of the area is 1) I have hard clay soil that washes out easily, combined with a decent grade in the front of the property, I don think establishing seed with be too fun 2) I want bluegrass so trying to seed the entire front. man.... basically I have to hope it doesn't rain for a full month. If I don't want total washout. I am okay with my grass dominating really, as long as its bluegrass (my lawn mostly is) not bentgrass. Maybe I am just being a total wuss about it and I am just afraid to do it. Pretty green when it comes to lawncare, and as it stands my lawn is servicable. What will likely happen is I wont listen to you, Ill get good germination in the area I reseed, Ill be mad about how much better that area looks and Ill end up nuking the whole thing next fall, lol. That Said, when I do the blanket application of tenacity, I have another section (600 sq foot in the way front left, not pictured) I suspect is pretty well mixed in bentgrass and goosegrass. If that turns out to be true, I might practice my seeding skills in that section and renovate over there.

Perhaps next season I will have the confidence to take your recommendation :-)

jskierko
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by jskierko » June 11th, 2020, 9:30 pm

rochford77 wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 4:42 pm
The problem with a full renovation of the area is 1) I have hard clay soil that washes out easily, combined with a decent grade in the front of the property, I don think establishing seed with be too fun 2) I want bluegrass so trying to seed the entire front. man.... basically I have to hope it doesn't rain for a full month. If I don't want total washout.
You could try a seed blanket if you are worried about the grade/washout. I don't see a ton of people using them but those that I've seen use them have had pretty good success.