Preparing for Drought

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
deboy922
Grass Type: Northern mix
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Some Experience

Preparing for Drought

Post by deboy922 » June 12th, 2020, 8:36 am

I have 2 acres without irrigation in north-central Indiana. I have had 0.1 inches of rain in June, and the 2-week forecast has little to no rain chances with temps in the 90's. I last mowed on 6/6 at 4 inches. The grass is now about 6 inches and showing some stress from lack of water. Should I mow now, or would letting it grow a little taller help the grass with the dry/hot weather? The highest I can mow is 4.5 inches. Any advice is appreciated...thank you.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Preparing for Drought

Post by MorpheusPA » June 12th, 2020, 12:15 pm

Offhand, if it isn't bothering you or causing problems, and isn't going to be a fire risk, I'd say leave it alone.

If it is, I certainly don't have any problems with you mowing it. Mowing it will cause a bit of "bleeding" from the tips, but if you wait until the grass tips are already dry and browning a bit, that won't be an issue any longer. Even if you don't, with it already stressing, water losses will be minimal.

The difference in height isn't making any impact in root length over a few days and 1.5 inches, but might increase the shading of the soil until the grass wilts totally. The fact that you clearly keep it long most of the time has already given you a lot of advantages and kept the grass green this long!

deboy922
Grass Type: Northern mix
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: Preparing for Drought

Post by deboy922 » June 14th, 2020, 9:06 am

Thank you for the reply MorpheusPA.

Yard was looking the best it has ever looked a few weeks ago, thanks to this forum.