KBG Seed Stalks turning brown.....

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

KBG Seed Stalks turning brown.....

Post by northeastlawn » June 15th, 2020, 8:50 pm

I got a lot of KBG Seed stalks this year. I decided I didn't want to cut below 2" to remove them with summer heat coming soon, and now I noticed they are turning brown and dying off.

I'm just not sure if its fungus causing them to go brown or just what the KBG does to transition to regular growth?

Its been about 4 warm days since I watered; and I am watering tomorrow morning, but the lawn doesn't seem to be drying out yet. I have a few spots of something going in, but watering every 4 days, and applying serenade and companion regularly since the humidity picked up.

Anyone else getting brown KBG seed stalks?

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: KBG Seed Stalks turning brown.....

Post by MorpheusPA » June 15th, 2020, 9:51 pm

Just the seed stalks? Not the grass itself?

If so, that's completely normal as the seed stalk matures. The grass has poured all the carbs, resources, and energy it's going to into the seed and now it needs to dry out, mature, and wait for fall and the returning rainfall (in the high plains where grasses usually live, but it does vary) for the seed to sprout. If you let the seed stalks remain and observe, you'll watch them turn golden brown and mature further, with the seeds eventually ripening and falling from the stalk, to the ground below.

I haven't noticed it yet, but I can't say I've been looking very much, and we're currently in a short-term dry period here with shocked grass.

PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: KBG Seed Stalks turning brown.....

Post by PSU4ME » June 15th, 2020, 11:04 pm

We had a lot of seed stalk this year and it’s finally starting to die back now. Grass was slow to grow but it sure did seed