Irrigation after Serenade?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
schreibdave
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Irrigation after Serenade?

Post by schreibdave » June 17th, 2020, 6:00 pm

Will irrigation after Serenade wash the Serenade off the grass blades and reduce its effectiveness?

PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: Irrigation after Serenade?

Post by PSU4ME » June 17th, 2020, 8:26 pm

Yup. You could try something like nufilm but irrigating after applying serenade definitely diminishes its ability

schreibdave

Post by schreibdave » June 17th, 2020, 8:42 pm

Thanks. I will water tonight and try to spray in the morning. We are having a historic dry spell here and my irrigation system is going every night.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » June 17th, 2020, 8:49 pm

Isn't rain expected this weekend up there and much of next week as well? Here it starts on Friday and continues into midweek and has me pulling in the youngest desert rose to avoid waterlogging (usually not an issue, but this one is a baby and I'm avoiding any risk of root rot through June).

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by northeastlawn » June 17th, 2020, 10:06 pm

[quote=schreibdave post_id=341121 time=1592440934 user_id=408]
Thanks. I will water tonight and try to spray in the morning. We are having a historic dry spell here and my irrigation system is going every night.[/quote]

Is there a reason your watering so much?

Usually the best practice is deep and Infrequent for an established lawn. Some will water say 1/2” twice a week, or even stretch it to 1” once a week if they can do it without stressing the lawn.

Watering every day creates perfect conditions for lawn disease.

As far as serenade is concerned, I unusually water the day before or after I cut, then apply serenade and hopefully get a few days where the serenade can stay on the grass undisturbed. It’s not always possible though.

schreibdave

Post by schreibdave » June 18th, 2020, 5:58 am

MorpheusPA wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 8:49 pm
Isn't rain expected this weekend up there and much of next week as well? Here it starts on Friday and continues into midweek and has me pulling in the youngest desert rose to avoid waterlogging (usually not an issue, but this one is a baby and I'm avoiding any risk of root rot through June).
Yes, the weather guessers are calling for about 1" of rain spread out over 7 days here starting on Saturday. But that's not a lot of water and the precipitation forecasts here are not reliable. They can nail the temps but because of our proximity to Lake Ontario a shift in wind direction or speed can quickly change the rain/snow forecast. Apparently we are setting a record for most consecutive days without measurable rainfall here. 17 days or something like that.
northeastlawn wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 10:06 pm

Is there a reason your watering so much?

Usually the best practice is deep and Infrequent for an established lawn. Some will water say 1/2” twice a week, or even stretch it to 1” once a week if they can do it without stressing the lawn.

Watering every day creates perfect conditions for lawn disease.

As far as serenade is concerned, I unusually water the day before or after I cut, then apply serenade and hopefully get a few days where the serenade can stay on the grass undisturbed. It’s not always possible though.
Yea, I know that every night is excessive. I have new KBG established in the fall and there are areas that show stress after a day or so of higher temps, high wind and no rain. Actually the wind here may be as much of a problem as the heat or draught. It seems to suck the moisture right out of plants.

I can really only water between the hours of 9pm and 5am because the dog is inside at that time. Watering outside that window requires me to walk her. She likes to attack my sprinkler heads. And in that 8hr or so period I can only get about 1/4 inch down on the entire lawn. I suppose I could use that time to water one section deeper one night and then do another section the next night. I will try that. Thanks for the wake up call.

schreibdave

Post by schreibdave » July 28th, 2020, 10:27 am

I sprayed serenade and we had a torrential downpour about 4-5 hours later. Did that likely wash the serenade off the grass blades? I sense disease pressure. Should I reapply?

KBGkicksazz

Post by KBGkicksazz » July 28th, 2020, 11:43 am

schreibdave wrote:
July 28th, 2020, 10:27 am
I sprayed serenade and we had a torrential downpour about 4-5 hours later. Did that likely wash the serenade off the grass blades? I sense disease pressure. Should I reapply?
If you have active disease it’s likely too late. I went systemic and stopped mine.

The the most expensive part of having a high end lawn is the disease prevention and cures :blackeye:

schreibdave

Post by schreibdave » July 28th, 2020, 12:19 pm

I think what I am seeing is rust. But I will keep an eye on it. Any opinion about whether rain will wash it off the grass blades?

KBGkicksazz

Post by KBGkicksazz » July 28th, 2020, 1:18 pm

schreibdave wrote:
July 28th, 2020, 12:19 pm
I think what I am seeing is rust. But I will keep an eye on it. Any opinion about whether rain will wash it off the grass blades?
Rain will wash off the serenade. If you micro feed the lawn with something like liquid iron that has Low dose N you can try and push the growth slightly. I’m not concerned about rust as in 4 weeks temps will drop and you can just outgrow it

If it’s really bad and you want to treat then it’s going to take a systemic treatment.

schreibdave

Post by schreibdave » July 28th, 2020, 7:18 pm

I typically fertilize in July and August and I just dropped starter fert because my soil test says I need the P. So that's taken care of. Thanks