What is growing in my KBG sample?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
southern-ct-4
Grass Type: PR/FF/KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

What is growing in my KBG sample?

Post by southern-ct-4 » June 18th, 2020, 7:18 pm

I did the below as I wanted to see, side by side, a PR mix and a KBG mix, both gold tag from seedsuperstore.

The PR is the first pick (shorter, mostly consistent growth), the KBG is the second pick (mixed growth, possibly due to being a mix, but also lots of bad looking stuff, aside from the obvious weeds, right?).

I can't imagine the bad looking stuff blew in, as it's only on the KBG side. The PR side is nearly perfect (actually as I look closer maybe there is some bad stuff there as well). The dirt was taken from an old pile of (not so great) top soil, it wasn't a fresh bag of top soil, could that be the issue?

Don't mind the lighter green color across the board, that's just a lighting issue.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

southern-ct-4

Re: What is growing in my PR/KBG sample?

Post by southern-ct-4 » June 18th, 2020, 7:29 pm

here's a side-by-side

schreibdave
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody
Level: Experienced

Re: What is growing in my KBG sample?

Post by schreibdave » June 19th, 2020, 5:48 am

Interesting experiment. I think in order to rule out the bad stuff already being in the soil, you would need to use bagged topsoil, mixed up well and maybe fallow for a while? And since the tub looks to extend a few inches higher than the soil, any chance that one side is getting a little more sun than the other? Or that weed seeds are being blown in by the wind and settling on one side?

It would be interesting to see what both sides look like in the fall once the KBG has had a chance to spread.

southern-ct-4

Re: What is growing in my KBG sample?

Post by southern-ct-4 » June 19th, 2020, 8:27 am

Thanks and agreed on the soil (I should have used a bag) and the tub height/possible sun issue. I believe the sun would be hitting the KBG side much more, and the higher wall on the left of the tub could have blocked it a bit on the PR side.