Weed B Gone CCO killed my grass?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
reggie517
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Weed B Gone CCO killed my grass?

Post by reggie517 » June 18th, 2020, 7:52 pm

Has anyone here experienced WBG CCO killing their cool season grass? I applied the product via the label. It was a hose end sprayer. It did a good job on the clover but looks like it killed a decent amount of the grass. I first thought it looked bad because the clover died and it was thinning out but it does look like the grass is dead as well. I applied it in early June and the temps weren’t hot.

Thanks

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Weed B Gone CCO killed my grass?

Post by turf_toes » June 18th, 2020, 8:13 pm

If you apply it when the temps are over 80 degrees Fahrenheit you risk damaging your grass.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » June 18th, 2020, 8:27 pm

What he said. Plus if you went heavy, it can damage grasses.

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Post by northeastlawn » June 18th, 2020, 10:01 pm

I realize WBG CCO has instructions for using it with a hose end sprayer, but no matter how safe a product seems, I would never spray an herbicide with the equivalent of a fire hose.

People unsure of how to apply herbicides should go about it carefully and almost be scared to get it wrong. Using a hose end sprayer is just asking for over application. In the future I'd grab a tank sprayer for any kind of herbicide.

reggie517
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Post by reggie517 » June 18th, 2020, 10:31 pm

[quote=northeastlawn post_id=341160 time=1592532078 user_id=5185]
I realize WBG CCO has instructions for using it with a hose end sprayer, but no matter how safe a product seems, I would never spray an herbicide with the equivalent of a fire hose.

People unsure of how to apply herbicides should go about it carefully and almost be scared to get it wrong. Using a hose end sprayer is just asking for over application. In the future I'd grab a tank sprayer for any kind of herbicide.
[/quote]

This is the first time I used a hose end sprayer. I typically use a pump or canister spray but I went to a few stores and all I could found find in stock was the hose end one. Guess I will wait until I can find the pump or concentrate next time or wait for Amazon to ship me some. Lesson learned!