KBGkicksazz
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Re: Extremely dry weather - irrigation plan

Post by KBGkicksazz » June 26th, 2020, 4:16 am

bpgreen wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 1:01 am
I'm pretty sure that if wer got a half inch of rain in a month, the headlines would be taking about a potential end to the drought.
I’m sure in your area that applies.

Right now I’m wondering if the severity of my issues was the result of fungal issues.

We got a 15 minute downpour yesterday and supposed to get rain Saturday and not dealing with 90 plus degree heat.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Level: Experienced

Post by ken-n-nancy » June 26th, 2020, 12:36 pm

Yeah, it's been very dry for New Hampshire. NH usually gets at least 4" of natural rainfall in June. I had been hoping for one of those downpours here on Wednesday or Thursday but they missed us.

The local town water supplies have implemented bans of all outdoor water use - not just an odd/even schedule, but no outdoor water use, even for washing cars.

Looking back through data for Bedford, NH, this year the only significant rainfall in June was 0.49 inches on June 6th.

The second half of May was also completely dry, with no precipitation since May 15th. For us to have 7 weeks in May and June with only 1 rain event of a half-inch is not good news for our local climate. Typical rainfall would have been about 6.5 inches over that period.

I've been having to irrigate more than usual, have hand-watered a few trouble spots, and am now thinking about what parts of the lawn to let go dormant to help reduce use of the well. Still keeping the lawn looking good so far, though.

KBGkicksazz

Post by KBGkicksazz » June 26th, 2020, 1:28 pm

ken-n-nancy wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 12:36 pm
Yeah, it's been very dry for New Hampshire. NH usually gets at least 4" of natural rainfall in June. I had been hoping for one of those downpours here on Wednesday or Thursday but they missed us.

The local town water supplies have implemented bans of all outdoor water use - not just an odd/even schedule, but no outdoor water use, even for washing cars.

Looking back through data for Bedford, NH, this year the only significant rainfall in June was 0.49 inches on June 6th.

The second half of May was also completely dry, with no precipitation since May 15th. For us to have 7 weeks in May and June with only 1 rain event of a half-inch is not good news for our local climate. Typical rainfall would have been about 6.5 inches over that period.

I've been having to irrigate more than usual, have hand-watered a few trouble spots, and am now thinking about what parts of the lawn to let go dormant to help reduce use of the well. Still keeping the lawn looking good so far, though.

Yeah Upon closer inspection I had brown patch and once the heat, humidity, and dry spell hit it got me. I was late to diagnose it.

Those trees you have really help give your lawn a break my lawn is exposed to the sun from up to down.

I’m going to get some propiconizole down this weekend so it doesn’t keep going.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » June 26th, 2020, 3:01 pm

I love how all the folks with trees [banned word] about how tough it is with shade, and all the folks with full-sun say how lucky the folks with trees are.

KBGkicksazz

Post by KBGkicksazz » June 26th, 2020, 5:08 pm

ken-n-nancy wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 12:36 pm

Here’s the one shaded area of my lawn ;)

Makes a huge difference in sun exposure...

Regardless, I’ll get the fungus issue resolved. Having hot dry spell with onset of fungus spread definitely makes rapid ID more challenging to catch it early.

KBGkicksazz

Post by KBGkicksazz » June 26th, 2020, 6:30 pm

andy10917 wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 3:01 pm
I love how all the folks with trees [banned word] about how tough it is with shade, and all the folks with full-sun say how lucky the folks with trees are.
Well in spring and fall the sun exposure is a huge advantage.

In the heat of summer >90F days on cool season grasses having some shade definitely helps.

In my case I had another caveat. I just installed an above ground pool and used a lot of water filling what the water truck did not. Backed off on irrigation for two weeks then the unusual heat and dry spell hit and couldn’t catch up...

If I was on city water would have been different story.