How often are you applying Serenade?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

How often are you applying Serenade?

Post by northeastlawn » June 19th, 2020, 4:04 pm

Im just curious how often everyone is applying their Serenade when using it as a preventive measure?

For my KBG lawn; I usually start with 2oz/1K in May every other week and bump it up to 4oz/1k in June. I usually cut the lawn the night before I water, then apply Serenade the next day when its dried out.

For instance.... I have trying to follow watering 1/2" every 4 days; but this week I watered a day early because I have to work, and wanted to make sure I got a chance to apply serenade for this weekend. We are expecting higher temps and a lot of humidity. I figure the Serenade is more important than stretching out the watering out.

But it made me wonder, if i follow that logic should I be applying serenade every 4 days in the summer?

Its been averaging once a week and I also apply Companion about every 3 weeks, but I apply that before I water so it gets in the roots or thats what I picked up on here..

Dargin
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Re: How often are you applying Serenade?

Post by Dargin » June 19th, 2020, 9:25 pm

My early spring apps were pretty erratic, same for my notes. Since late May I've been trying 4oz apps every 5 days. That happened to fall in line with my new irrigation routine once things heated up, like now. I water about a 1/2" (about 1hr 15mins/k), then repeat the following morning, spraying serenade that same afternoon/evening.
Watch for 3-4 days.
Repeat.

Sometimes I'll do extra apps after rainfall.

That's almost 2" of irrigation (in some areas) over 7 days. Very sandy. It just seems to need it. I am genuinely seeing an overall improvement and more stability than in past years (last summer was a horror show). And recent temps have been a semi-decent test, I think.

I do have some fungal pressure of the non-nitrogen deficient variety, but it has yet to really take hold and overpower the green, even with the rather heavy irrigation. I gotta think the Serenade is playing a part.

schreibdave
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by schreibdave » June 20th, 2020, 5:58 am

I'm following this thread. I am new to elite KBG and serenade - having done a reno last fall. So far I have put serenade down twice about a month apart at the 2oz per thousand rate. So far so good.

Paul
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG Monostand
Level: Advanced

Post by Paul » June 22nd, 2020, 9:12 am

I do 4 ounces/1K sqft every two weeks regardless if we get rain or not. Haven't had an issue since I renovated to Bewitched in 2016. If I know it's going to rain the day after I'm suppose to apply it, I would hold off until the day after it rains. I just applied last Saturday and irrigated this morning.

schreibdave

Post by schreibdave » June 22nd, 2020, 9:29 am

Paul wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 9:12 am
I do 4 ounces/1K sqft every two weeks regardless if we get rain or not. Haven't had an issue since I renovated to Bewitched in 2016. If I know it's going to rain the day after I'm suppose to apply it, I would hold off until the day after it rains. I just applied last Saturday and irrigated this morning.
What made you decide to do 4 oz per thousand rather than 2 oz? Which I think is the standard rate.

Paul
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG Monostand
Level: Advanced

Post by Paul » June 22nd, 2020, 12:56 pm

schreibdave wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 9:29 am
What made you decide to do 4 oz per thousand rather than 2 oz? Which I think is the standard rate.
A couple of reasons:
1) It's relatively inexpensive
2) The 4 ounce rate would theoretically give better protection against a fungal outbreak

schreibdave

Post by schreibdave » June 22nd, 2020, 3:29 pm

Makes sense. Thanks.