Propiconazole add surfactant?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
onionGrass
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Propiconazole add surfactant?

Post by onionGrass » June 27th, 2020, 10:19 am

I'm trying to prevent brown patch in my TTTF and right now I don't see any signs of it. Since brown patch is a foliar disease I've always added a surfactant but I'm wondering if that's the best approach (it's not mentioned on the label).

Maybe add surfactant if you already have a brown patch outbreak (blades have lesions) and don't add it if you're doing a preventive spray?

KBGkicksazz
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Re: Propiconazole add surfactant?

Post by KBGkicksazz » June 28th, 2020, 2:24 pm

I’ve never added it but I have were the Eagle label mentions using an adjuvent.

Dargin
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by Dargin » June 28th, 2020, 4:44 pm

I've always watered it in without surfactant. Although I did read a couple things today that have me wondering, FWIW:

"Propiconazole is readily absorbed by plant tissues, and is transported systemically within the plant. Thus, leaves that emerge following the application will also be protected from fungal infection. Systemic movement is predominately upward (from roots to foliage, or lower leaves to upper leaves), but limited downward translocation also occurs."

http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/ex ... e-ext.html

"Our data from these studies indicate that soil surfactants increase the downward movement of fungicides in soil. Previous research has found results similar to our study with the nematicide abamectin (Avid, Syngenta Crop Protection). Furthermore, a programmatic approach to soil surfactant applications could be more beneficial than only applying soil surfactants at or a few days before fungicide application."

https://www.golfdom.com/moving-fungicides-down-in-soil/

If the stuff works best from the bottom up I guess we'd want it as well into the root zone as possible. Especially if given disease(s) turn to the crowns and/or roots? Maybe the blsc treatments most of us do are already laying the ground work for maximizing the effectiveness of Propiconazole?

Or maybe I'm reading things wrong.

KBGkicksazz
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by KBGkicksazz » June 29th, 2020, 4:38 am

Dargin wrote:
June 28th, 2020, 4:44 pm
I've always watered it in without surfactant. Although I did read a couple things today that have me wondering, FWIW:

"Propiconazole is readily absorbed by plant tissues, and is transported systemically within the plant. Thus, leaves that emerge following the application will also be protected from fungal infection. Systemic movement is predominately upward (from roots to foliage, or lower leaves to upper leaves), but limited downward translocation also occurs."

http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/ex ... e-ext.html

"Our data from these studies indicate that soil surfactants increase the downward movement of fungicides in soil. Previous research has found results similar to our study with the nematicide abamectin (Avid, Syngenta Crop Protection). Furthermore, a programmatic approach to soil surfactant applications could be more beneficial than only applying soil surfactants at or a few days before fungicide application."

https://www.golfdom.com/moving-fungicides-down-in-soil/

If the stuff works best from the bottom up I guess we'd want it as well into the root zone as possible. Especially if given disease(s) turn to the crowns and/or roots? Maybe the blsc treatments most of us do are already laying the ground work for maximizing the effectiveness of Propiconazole?

Or maybe I'm reading things wrong.
It’s as simple as reading the labels. If it was much more effective to use an adjuvant the labels would recommend it.

Jason1604
Grass Type: Front: 2016 Reno, Cochise IV, Bullseye, LS100 TTTF.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by Jason1604 » June 29th, 2020, 4:50 pm

My generic 14.3 propiconazole is labeled that a surfactant aids in efficacy, but treatment without won’t lessen the efficacy. Sounds kinda circular in logic. I always add a tablespoon on spreader sticker when tank mixing. My thought is that if the plant absorbs the product through its leaf, the more that stays the better.