Fenoxaprop Calculation Help

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Wally
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Fenoxaprop Calculation Help

Post by Wally » July 6th, 2020, 8:00 am

So Bayer sells Fenoxaprop in a ready to spray bottle, the attach garden hose bottle treats 5000 sf.

If I wanted to use my pump sprayer instead to insure better use, how much concentrate would I add per gallon of water? The concentrate is .41 percent fenoxaprop.

Thanks!

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Fenoxaprop Calculation Help

Post by ken-n-nancy » July 6th, 2020, 8:19 am

Wally wrote:
July 6th, 2020, 8:00 am
So Bayer sells Fenoxaprop in a ready to spray bottle, the attach garden hose bottle treats 5000 sf.

If I wanted to use my pump sprayer instead to insure better use, how much concentrate would I add per gallon of water? The concentrate is .41 percent fenoxaprop.

Thanks!
Wally, is the link below the right one for the specific product you're considering? (Bayer / BioAdvanced Crabgrass Killer for Lawns, in a 32 oz Ready-to-Spray bottle)

https://www.bioadvanced.com/products/la ... ller-lawns

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » July 6th, 2020, 8:34 am

That's not concentrate - that's a dilution meant to be used for RTU consumer products. The concentrate is 6.59% Fenoxaprop.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Post by ken-n-nancy » July 6th, 2020, 8:39 am

Wally wrote:

Thanks!
Wally, I realized it's possible to partly answer your question given the information that you've provided, but some more information is still needed...

Basically, since the bottle of product is intended to cover 5000 sq feet in a garden hose sprayer, you need to apply the product with your pump sprayer in such a way that the rate of application applies one bottle to 5000 sq feet.

If the bottle is indeed the 32 oz bottle that I linked to in my earlier post, then you want to mix the product in your sprayer such that you apply 32 oz of product to 5000 sqft. That would be a rate of 6.4oz/ksqft (32 oz / 5 ksqft = 6.4 oz/ksqft).

What needs to be known, however, is how much water your sprayer applies per 1000sqft when you use it. Most pump sprayers deliver around 1 gal / 1 ksqft, but that can vary from sprayer to sprayer, from nozzle to nozzle, and from person to person making the application.

If when you use your sprayer, you apply at 1 gallon per 1 ksqft, you would add 6.4 oz of product to 1 gallon of water, and then spray that mixture over 1000 sqft to have coverage equivalent to that achieved with the hose-end sprayer.

If your sprayer applies at 1.5 gallons per 1 ksqft, you would add 6.4oz of product to 1.5 gallons of water, and then spray that mixture over 1000 sqft.

If your sprayer applies at 2 gallons per 1 ksqft, you would add 6.4oz of product to 2 gallons of water, and then spray that mixture over 1000 sqft.

Does the above make sense?

Wally

Post by Wally » July 6th, 2020, 9:17 am

ken-n-nancy wrote:
July 6th, 2020, 8:39 am
Wally wrote:

Thanks!
Wally, I realized it's possible to partly answer your question given the information that you've provided, but some more information is still needed...

Basically, since the bottle of product is intended to cover 5000 sq feet in a garden hose sprayer, you need to apply the product with your pump sprayer in such a way that the rate of application applies one bottle to 5000 sq feet.

If the bottle is indeed the 32 oz bottle that I linked to in my earlier post, then you want to mix the product in your sprayer such that you apply 32 oz of product to 5000 sqft. That would be a rate of 6.4oz/ksqft (32 oz / 5 ksqft = 6.4 oz/ksqft).

What needs to be known, however, is how much water your sprayer applies per 1000sqft when you use it. Most pump sprayers deliver around 1 gal / 1 ksqft, but that can vary from sprayer to sprayer, from nozzle to nozzle, and from person to person making the application.

If when you use your sprayer, you apply at 1 gallon per 1 ksqft, you would add 6.4 oz of product to 1 gallon of water, and then spray that mixture over 1000 sqft to have coverage equivalent to that achieved with the hose-end sprayer.

If your sprayer applies at 1.5 gallons per 1 ksqft, you would add 6.4oz of product to 1.5 gallons of water, and then spray that mixture over 1000 sqft.

If your sprayer applies at 2 gallons per 1 ksqft, you would add 6.4oz of product to 2 gallons of water, and then spray that mixture over 1000 sqft.

Does the above make sense?
Yea, I don't know the flow rate.

Basically, I guess what I'm looking for is a spot treatment rate? How many oz of the product to a gallon? I don't really trust those ready to spray bottles.

ken-n-nancy

Post by ken-n-nancy » July 6th, 2020, 11:15 am

Wally wrote:
July 6th, 2020, 9:17 am
Yea, I don't know the flow rate.

Basically, I guess what I'm looking for is a spot treatment rate? How many oz of the product to a gallon? I don't really trust those ready to spray bottles.
I'm not trying to be obnoxious, but without knowing the flow rate for the spot spraying, it's really not possible to figure out how much of the product to use.

As a guess, the coverage rates that I tend to see on products for spot spraying seem to be at levels that typically correspond to about 1gal for about 400 sqft or so, which implies about 2.5 gallons per ksqft. This is a lot of liquid per ksqft, but I think that's because folks doing spot spraying tend to spray the target plants until the leaves are soaked and starting to drip off onto the ground. If you're spraying the plants at that level of soaking, then you'll need to use less product per gallon to compensate for the fact that a lot of liquid is getting applied.

My suggestion would be to measure your flow rate of your sprayer, the way you use it, per ksqft and make your calculations accordingly. Making a blind guess is just that -- a blind guess.

Technically, applying in any way other than that listed on the label would be an "off-label" use, and "the label is the law," but you probably already knew that.

Oh, and I agree with you -- I don't trust those hose-end sprayers, either, and would be much comfortable figuring out an appropriate amount of product to apply per gallon using a pump sprayer, whether hand-held, backpack, or wheeled.

Wally

Post by Wally » July 7th, 2020, 6:19 am

ken-n-nancy wrote:
July 6th, 2020, 8:19 am
Wally wrote:

Thanks!
Wally, is the link below the right one for the specific product you're considering? (Bayer / BioAdvanced Crabgrass Killer for Lawns, in a 32 oz Ready-to-Spray bottle)

https://www.bioadvanced.com/products/la ... ller-lawns
It is interesting, Bayer markets the same formula as Bermuda grass control in a different bottle. Same stuff, different label.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » July 7th, 2020, 6:56 am

It is interesting, Bayer markets the same formula as Bermuda grass control in a different bottle. Same stuff, different label.
That's more common than you'd think. Ortho WBG Clover, Chickweed and Oxalis Killer and Ortho Poison Ivy and Tough Brush Killer are the same product, but the label is different because the application instructions/rate is different.

Wally

Post by Wally » July 25th, 2020, 8:14 pm

So I tried the ready to spray bottle and I really don't like it, seem like too much pressure.

The Acclaim spot treatment rate is 0.3 to 0.46 oz per gallon.

Anybody care to give me a safe amount of concentrate to use for a gallon of water?

Wally

Post by Wally » September 5th, 2020, 8:05 pm

So to update, I hooked up the hose and sprayed into a bucket, then added that mix to my pump sprayer.

Some observations:

-Zero damage to the turf, even in the heat, including some creeping bent.

-Fenoxaprop stinks! Not a pleasant odor at all.

-Works so-so on crabgrass. Took around 3 applications to knock it down. (In all fairness the crabgrass was well along)

-Worked excellent on Japanese Stiltgrass and barnyard grass. I found you have to give it a good shower. (I didn't add surfactant, perhaps that would have helped?)

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)

Post by Green » September 6th, 2020, 9:16 pm

Wally,

I got the same stuff, with the intention of killing what I believe is a Paspalum of some type. I'm not going to overthink it...my plan is to mix up the amount that is supposed to be used in 1,000 square feet in water. Usually, things tend to default to one gallon, so it's probably not far off. And then spot spray that with a non-ionic surfactant added (who knows what the manufacturer adds or doesn't add...adding some surfactant won't hurt anything). If I really want more info, I can look at the label for any Fenoxaprop concentrate, convert from their %AI to mine, and then use that. There is no reason you can't use a RTU product in a tank sprayer. It just requires a little more effort to calculate rates.